What is juvenile renal dysplasia and what are the chances of a dog living a happy life after a diagnosis?

I asked yahoo earlier about my dog drinking too much. After doing some of my own research, her symptoms are very similiar with this disease. Anybody know about how much the tests should run? Any medications/diets offered or suggested for this disease?…

What is juvenile renal dysplasia and what are the chances of a dog living a happy life after a diagnosis?

I asked yahoo earlier about my dog drinking too much. After doing some of my own research, her symptoms are very similiar with this disease. Anybody know about how much the tests should run? Any medications/diets offered or suggested for this disease?…...
    General Dog Discussions : What is juvenile renal dysplasia and what are the chances of a dog living a happy life after a diagnosis?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What is juvenile renal dysplasia and what are the chances of a dog living a happy life after a diagnosis?

What is juvenile renal dysplasia and what are the chances of a dog living a happy life after a diagnosis? General Dog Discussions
      I asked yahoo earlier about my dog drinking too much. After doing some of my own research, her symptoms are very similiar with this disease. Anybody know about how much the tests should run? Any medications/diets offered or suggested for this disease? What are her chances of having a good life?

What is juvenile renal dysplasia and what are the chances of a dog living a happy life after a diagnosis? General Dog Discussions
    • http://vetprof.com/clientinfo/juvenilerenal.htmlThese are questions you should be asking the veterinarian. The receptionist can give you a detailed estimate and the vet will be able to give you a better prognosis, provided that this is what the puppy has. Drinking alot of water can also be a sign of diabetes....you won't know until you take her in for the tests needed to see what's wrong with her, if anything. You will cause yourself undue stress and worry by wondering. Call the vet to schedule and appointment or a consultation with him. You'll feel a lot better knowing things that are coming from a professional. Good luck, hope all works out for the best.

• i'm very sorry. this is what i know... (i'm a vet trainee) Treatments for the symptoms of JRD include a low protein prescription diet, such as Hill's K/D. The predominant effect of the low protein diet is to minimize production of uremic toxins so that the patient feels better. Low protein diets may help extend life in dogs. Phosphorus is more important in this regard, since high phosphorus accelerates renal failure, and restricted phosphorus slows it down. K/D is low in phosphorus, so it remains a good food for dogs in this condition. The first clinical symptom of affected dogs is usually an increase in urine output and accompanying thirst. When checked, the urine is extremely dilute, often approaching the specific gravity of water, which is 1.000. The normal range for a dog is between 1.015 and 1.045. In most dogs anything consistently below 1.015 would be called low and suggestive of kidney disease. Breeders certainly should consider adding urinalysis as a prerequisite for breeding to rule out early clinical cases. Later in the disease the dog may exhibit loss of appetite, muscular weakness, vomiting, diarrhea and foul breath. The clinical symptoms can often be reduced initially by using prescription low protein diets. Unfortunately, this works for only a limited amount of time as the deterioration of kidney function continues, ultimately leading to the demise of the dog. Early diagnosis would necessitate blood and urine tests as well as GFR studies and biopsies, if the GFR were low. In dogs with renal dysplasia there should be no glucose to implicate diabetes or elevated protein to suggest protein-loosing disease. Certainly a blood panel at the same time would help to eliminate other diseases, too. the life of your pup may be at stake. i'd join a support group and keep in contact. if you got it from a professional breeder, i would contact them, and tell them the diagnosis of the pup. they need to know. this is a BAD disease. almost all dogs get put down in the end.-meganIn addition to diet, IV fluids can be administered to correct disturbances created by the retention of uremic toxins. Epogen can be prescribed to treat the anemia of chronic renal failure, resulting in improving the quality, and probably the length of life. Some veterinary schools are performing organ transplants, but transplanted kidneys in dogs are commonly rejected, and involve an extraordinary expense and commitment.

• Initial visit at the Vet $45, CBC test & superchem might run you 100-150. These tests will check your dog metabolically and look for hi and low values that help determine a disease. Other issues could be lurking like diabetes.Now comes the hard part, a young dog with a disease like this can be hard to maintain, not impossible, but hard and financially straining. I think it is right to investigate and have the vet check it out. Although I would wholehearted consider the long term affects to you and the dog. Is it fair?Best of wishes.

• my dog recently went blind..(last saturday). He was diagnosed with S.A.R.D.S.. having a constant thirt and appetitie, is its most common signs. You will have to take your dog to a dog optician which of there are only 200 qualified and certified in the united states. When i was calling around, the price ranges were 120-160 dollars just to be seen. This does not include additional testing. you dog can have a great life with alot of coaching from you. I have done so much research the last 2 weeks. I was quite honestly more upset then my st. bernard. it will take time to adjust, but it is all well worth it for the companionship you receive from your beloved animal.

• I really don't think that is the correct diagnosis for the puppy> http://www.vetinfo.com/drenal.htmlthe pup really needs to see a vet for proper diagnosis..I don't think is is renal dysplasia

• Early symptoms of juvenile renel disease include drinking copius amounts of water, somthing that might not be readily apparent in a house with more than one dog, frequent urination, and dilute urine which has a little color and odor. Some affected puppies leak urine, many do not. as the disease progresses, vomiting, wiehgt loss, anorexia, lethargy, and muscle weakness are seen.for more go to the website down below it will answer ur questions.

• please don't try an diagnose your self. people often see symptoms on a list on the Internet and think that's what the animal is suffering from.excessive drinking could be a many different things. get the animal seen for an accurate answer to you question and also a professional diagnosis if any.we may be worrying your self for no reason.....put your mind at rest and get him seen.veterinary costs will vary from practice to practice. the vet may be able to give you an estimate of the costs involved.qualified veterinary nurse UK