What is the best way to teach dogs not to fight with neighbor dogs through the fence?

My dogs jump at the fence and bark at the neighbors' dogs, and their dogs do the same to outs, and it drives me crazy! It's also dangerous. My dogs are small/medium (34 lbs and 14 lbs) but the neighbors have huge Goldern Retrievers and a really…

What is the best way to teach dogs not to fight with neighbor dogs through the fence?

My dogs jump at the fence and bark at the neighbors' dogs, and their dogs do the same to outs, and it drives me crazy! It's also dangerous. My dogs are small/medium (34 lbs and 14 lbs) but the neighbors have huge Goldern Retrievers and a really…...
    General Dog Discussions : What is the best way to teach dogs not to fight with neighbor dogs through the fence?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What is the best way to teach dogs not to fight with neighbor dogs through the fence?

What is the best way to teach dogs not to fight with neighbor dogs through the fence? General Dog Discussions
      My dogs jump at the fence and bark at the neighbors' dogs, and their dogs do the same to outs, and it drives me crazy! It's also dangerous. My dogs are small/medium (34 lbs and 14 lbs) but the neighbors have huge Goldern Retrievers and a really vicious-looking pit bull type terrier. My dogs are a whippet and a 14 lb jack russell-type mixed terrier. Shock collars are not an option for use on our dogs. Please help! thanks.

What is the best way to teach dogs not to fight with neighbor dogs through the fence? General Dog Discussions
    • Don't let them. Call them over to you when they go towards the fence. If needed, squirt them with the water hose to grab their attention.Make sure your dogs are properly socialized with other dogs, and ask your neighbors if their dogs are friendly with other dogs, as well.If so, perhaps have a safe meeting between the dogs, out front. If they know each other, they'll be less likely to go at each other through the fences.

• Unless you can issue properly timed, motivational correction each time your dogs do this it's virtually impossible to eliminate the behavior. Your best bet would be to put up some privacy fencing or plant some bushes (rose bushes work well) along the fence to keep your dogs from being able to see the other dogs or to get to the fence.

• they need constant supervision.have them on a leash at first,then when they want to fight with the other dogs, correct them. it has to be consistent. do not praise them for barking, praise them for behaving.then eventually u can have them free roam the yard, with out that problem.good luck, my dogs had the same problem, and i did that. it worked.

• I HATE shock collars, they're horrible. My dogs do the same, they go after dogs walking in the street, whatever, but what we did, was go out in the back yard whenever we let them out and we would play ball with them and if they tried to go near the fence, we'd chase them away from it or have someone hide in the bushes and then chase them away from it. They still go in the corner because it's really shady and they like to watch cars go by, but it faces the street and not neighbors and dogs so we thought that was okay. We also taught them to go in the pool more often and then like that (well, one does, the other one hates water) but we just do something to distract them from the fences and when the do go after it, convince them that they actually don't want to! Just kind of think like a dog and good luck, I hope the poochies don't get hurt!!

• you gotta get an empty plastic water bottle (small one will do),everytime your dog does it, you bong it to his head (but not very hard, it just needs to be very BONG noisy) and say Bad Boy, Bad Boy, and spank him a bit at his nose and repeat BAD BOY several times, also saing NO NO NO is good, drag him back inside the house, let him know is grounded, and whenever he tries to do it again or even think about it, you say the same words, grabbing the bottle in your hand bonging it a bit for him to listen the noise! repeat many times as necessary until he learns he must not jump the fence and bark but never hurt him!

• the water hose can be a good temp remedy, but other than that you could put up blinders for the dog - new fencing or use a long durable light weight fabric of some sort, coupled with some positive training. I fake rabbit run attached to a clothes line or something which could entertain him set to move at certain times of the day, would help.Also, get friendly with the neighbor's dog. bacon treats, peanut butter teats, and i wanna play high pitched kissy noises. If you can be friendly to the neighbors - it the neighbors aren't scarry - you could have them introduce you to their dogs. dog treats with friendliness usually work though.

• We have the same problem even though there is a privacy fence between the yards. 1. Create a barrier several feet back from the fence to keep your dogs from getting too close. We have thick shrubs, but you could put up a fence tall enough that your dogs can't jump it, the electonic no-fence fence, or run ropes from posts at each end that you attach pie pans, and other noisemakers to. Another neighbor got a hose that has a motion detector and squirts water when anything breaks the beam.2. If you have chain link or similar see-through fencing, you will have to fasten something (we used exterior plywood sheets) to your side so the dogs can't see each other. If you can soak the board, etc. with pinesol or a similar cleanser, it will decrease the dogs' (on both sides of the fence) abilities to smell each other.3. Have a hose handy. Every time your dogs run toward the fence and start barking, shoot water at them while saying NO, STOP, ENOUGH or a similar command.4. If at all possible, ask your neighbor to do the same for his/her dogs.