Do dogs need access to water all the time in a crate?

Well, I just bought a new crate. I have a husky/chow/pitbull mix who's, so far, used the paper inside. (He's 1.5 years old) We now want to train him to go outside, even thought it may be hard, since he'll actually hold it while we're outside and wait…

Well, I just bought a new crate. I have a husky/chow/pitbull mix who's, so far, used the paper inside. (He's 1.5 years old) We now want to train him to go outside, even thought it may be hard, since he'll actually hold it while we're outside and wait…...
    General Dog Discussions : Do dogs need access to water all the time in a crate?...

• Do dogs need access to water all the time in a crate?

Do dogs need access to water all the time in a crate? General Dog Discussions
      Well, I just bought a new crate. I have a husky/chow/pitbull mix who's, so far, used the paper inside. (He's 1.5 years old) We now want to train him to go outside, even thought it may be hard, since he'll actually hold it while we're outside and wait until we come inside to do his stuff. But the paper thing is getting a bit messy and it would be so much nicer to have him go outside. So... I was wondering, does Steele (my dog) need water in his crate at all times? I live in Louisiana, so even with AC in here, it can still get a bit warm inside, although at night, it's cool. I told my mom that he would need water and that if he has to go, he can hold it 'til the morning or until I get back, but she said, "Ooh, but that would be uncomfortable." Sooo, I dunno. I don't want him having to hold it or pee in his crate, so what do I do? I mean, it wouldn't kill him to go at night without water or just a few hours during the day without it, would it? What do I do? I'm new to this crate thing. =POkay... Since WHEN did I say he pees too much? Geez, some people can get the craziest ideas from a simple question. -_-Thank you, Kimbee, for the info. I have already read up on crate training, though. ^^ =PWho said I'm "locking him up too long"? Geez... And he IS "potty trained". He's just been taught to go on the paper, duh. Now we've decided we want him to go outside to use it. No big deal. You act like everyone has to train their dogs to go piss outside, otherwise they're not trained. God, it's so annoying when people assume all kind of sh*t just b/c someone asks a question. My God, get over yourselves. -_-

Do dogs need access to water all the time in a crate? General Dog Discussions
    • you could give your dog water like every 3 or 4 hrs. when ur housetraining & i hear that works well when housetraining b/c then they won't need to go all the time...i personally am going to get one of those waterers they put in hamster and rabbit cages to put in the crate, so she won't knock it over, but she'll still have water if she wants it.

• No, he does not need water in his crate. Dogs can go a few hours or even overnight w/o water.The reason he wont pee outside is b/c you have never reinforced it before. dogs normally wont pee where they sleep. only let your dog drink water outside his crate, no wonder he pees so much you let him drink too much. He will drink when hes thirsty, just let it be available to him and he will help himself, but not in the crate. Take him out to pee when he wakes up in the morning, before you put him in the crate, when you need to leave the house and again when you return and let him out of the crate. If he pees in his crate, just clean it up and put him outside till he does his business. Dogs can hold their bladders for about 5-10 hours. your dog will be fine!

• Don't put papers in the crate. Leave it empty. Tell him "go potty" and walk him on leash to the same spot every time. Praise him and give him a little treat when he goes. If he doesn't go, then keep a leash on him and keep him with you at all times in the house, or put him in the crate if you can't watch him. You have to treat him like he was an 8 week old puppy because he was never trained. Take him out every hour until he learns! Don't leave water in the crate. Let him have all the water he wants when he is out of the crate. For more info on crate training, go to http://www.siriuspup.com.

• My girls go to bed at 10 oclock and in the morning get up at 6 oclock and have no water in their cages as I found they always spilt it, I had brought the bowls that hooked onto the front of the cage and they still knocked it off.

• If you have to leave the dog in the crate so long that it needs water than you are locking the dog up too long. Crates should only be used for short periods of time or for sleeping in at night. Why did you wait almost 2 years to potty train this dog? You are going to have to take him out after meals and wait until he goes. No paper inside. If he won't go, he needs to be put on a leash and stay with you so that he can't sneak off and go in another room. Continue to take him out at short intervals until he relieves himself. He can be off the leash outside for this. Immediately praise and offer a small reward. He'll catch on eventually.

• During the night,Steele ought to be sleeping thru the night,so he shouldn't be needing any water,at age 1 1/2.As for the daytime,he may need some if it is that hot in the house.warm,won't hurt..hot,to the point of panting,he needs water.As for convincing him to go outside,start moving your newspaper towards the door,then finally outside in the area you waant him to go in.A used paper taken outside would be good.Good luck with Steele.