Any issues with shipping a dog on a plane?

My mother wants to send her dog to live with me for a while (I live in Denver, Mother in Chicago). I've done all the research through the airlines and it seems like it's not a big deal to ship a dog. However, I wanted to check with the Answers community.…

My mother wants to send her dog to live with me for a while (I live in Denver, Mother in Chicago). I've done all the research through the airlines and it seems like it's not a big deal to ship a dog. However, I wanted to check with the Answers community.…...
    General Dog Discussions : Any issues with shipping a dog on a plane?...

• Any issues with shipping a dog on a plane?

Any issues with shipping a dog on a plane? General Dog Discussions
      My mother wants to send her dog to live with me for a while (I live in Denver, Mother in Chicago). I've done all the research through the airlines and it seems like it's not a big deal to ship a dog. However, I wanted to check with the Answers community. Have you ever had a bad experience shipping a dog? Any tips or any reason why I shouldn't have my dog shipped? The dog is a 5 year old 50 pound basset hound in good shape (in case that makes a difference).

Any issues with shipping a dog on a plane? General Dog Discussions
    • i have heard more succes stories then stories where there was a problem heres some tips:http://www.bcrescue.org/flying.htmlhttp://www.happytailstravel.com/pet_travel_info.php

• As long as you follow all the guidelines per the airliner's request, I don't think it should be a big deal. Well, I guess the only things would be if: #1 The dog is skittish and doesn't take well to strangers; #2 The dog has existing ear problems (as many basset hounds do), and the change in air pressure will exacerbate that ear condition.

• Shouldnt be too bad, if anything,give her an anti nausea pill, you can find all natural ones in fine pet stores.Good health is also good to have. wish you luck! :)

• I had my puppy sent to me by plane and that worked out well. He arrived happy and healthy...However the breeder told me that another puppy that was sent from the same litter was let out of his crate by airline staff and was running around in the cargo area so they could play with him. He didn't get hurt but both the breeder and owner were upset as it's such a huge risk. I called the freight company and the airline and told them that my dog was under no condition to be released from his crate. The breeder cable tied (zip lock?) the crate closed and stuck a huge sign on the crate saying "DO NOT OPEN".As for advice regarding the flight, do not feed them for a few hours before the flight, they may get motion sickness. Also give them a toys and a pigs ear to chew!Good luck, it should be fine!

• Just make sure the dog has his shots and including the bordetella shot, so he doesn't pick up any respiratory diseases. Bassets are not hyper dogs, so he should be alright and not have much of a problem. I heard that Continental is very good with pets on their plane. You can check it out. When I was flying last year to Pittsburgh, the flight attendant was telling me why she feels comfortable when she takes her dog with her flying Continental. My German Shepherd did fine, on a long trip, but my daughters English Bulldog was shipped from Kansas to Tx. on a Delta flight, but it had a layover in Atlanta, and the dog picked up a respiratory infection, but last March, there was a large outbreak of respiratory infections with dogs from the Katrina disaster. Everything should go well.

• the only thing I have to add is airlines are very stringent about WHEN they will aceppt dogs/animals for shipment, based on the expected temperature at the airports involved....for example, its hard to impossible to ship a dog to or from the Caribbean in the summer........heat stroke on the tarmac and all that....so if its a heat wave in Chicago, the airline may not accept the dog that day......