Is dog training a career that last?

Do dog trainers usually devote their whole life in training dogs? Or do they just take up dog training as an additional activity during their free time?Will I be able to earn a living by being a Dog trainer for the rest of my life?How do I determine if…

Do dog trainers usually devote their whole life in training dogs? Or do they just take up dog training as an additional activity during their free time?Will I be able to earn a living by being a Dog trainer for the rest of my life?How do I determine if…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : Is dog training a career that last?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Is dog training a career that last?

Is dog training a career that last? Dogs Training Discussions
      Do dog trainers usually devote their whole life in training dogs? Or do they just take up dog training as an additional activity during their free time?Will I be able to earn a living by being a Dog trainer for the rest of my life?How do I determine if I'm good enough to get a job as a Dog Trainer?How long do people usually take to finish learning all the aspects of Dog training? (Including learning to train people to train their dogs)Is training dogs tough?Do dog owners trust self-learn dog trainers?

Is dog training a career that last? Dogs Training Discussions
    • Yes...The person who helped train our older dog had been training for 27 years...She has earned all her money by training dogs...As well as doing training privately, she set up a dog training club...It isn't a job where you earn a lot of money, but it does keep you going...Training dogs is tough, but it's easier when you know what you're doing...

• Some trainers are able to make a full time career out of training. Some do training part time and have a full time on the side.It's all a matter of how good you are, and how many people there are in the area who will go to you.You never "finish" learning. As a dog trainer you should be going to seminars, workshops, and demos constantly to further your knowledge. You learn something new nearly every day whether it's how to deal with a certain breed or how to help the owner understand.It's an ongoing process.Training dogs can be difficult at times. Not all dogs learn the same way.Personally, I would like to see a little more credentials than "I trained my own dogs really well, so I can train yours"As I mentioned, you should be going to seminars and workshops along with gradually gaining experience in the field.

• It all depends on what you want to do. Some people make their life out of training dogs! Others may do it only on the weekends.But if you want this to be your whole life you must be very good at it! You must research lots of different dogs and their behaviour and what is the best way to work with them! and You must lear how to approach a dog and have it listen to you! So if you do a really good job at telling everyone that you train dogs for a living they might come to you! Put out flayers! Put your name in your newspaper! Go to different shelter and give them your name! well i hope this helped!

• People do devote their lives to dog training, and some do it part time, or whenever they want to "book a session".You can earn a living on it, but it's not a whole lot of money & it also depends on whether or not you own a center.You also need to go to meetings and shelters, and all that. Volunteer work also looks good.Honestly, I'm not going to repeat everything everyone says. But you kinda' do need to get a degree in dog training if you are that interested, because having a degree to show and being certified makes people take you more seriously than just someone who "trains their own dogs".I was told by a trainer I talked to, that in order to be taken seriously by other trainers as well, you need atleast 200 dogs under your belt trained in your name.I'm actually applying to a College right now, called Animal Behavior College. The tuition is about 2,800 - 3,400$.