What is the best sort of large breed dog to buy? One that doesn't need a lot of time and attention?

We want to buy a big dog, just for fun, but it seems like every dog we buy they are really needy. We just don't have the time to invest in a dog (training, attention) and so would like to have some ideas regarding low maintenence dogs, but still…

What is the best sort of large breed dog to buy? One that doesn't need a lot of time and attention?

We want to buy a big dog, just for fun, but it seems like every dog we buy they are really needy. We just don't have the time to invest in a dog (training, attention) and so would like to have some ideas regarding low maintenence dogs, but still…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : What is the best sort of large breed dog to buy? One that doesn't need a lot of time and attention?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What is the best sort of large breed dog to buy? One that doesn't need a lot of time and attention?

What is the best sort of large breed dog to buy? One that doesn't need a lot of time and attention? Dogs Training Discussions
      We want to buy a big dog, just for fun, but it seems like every dog we buy they are really needy. We just don't have the time to invest in a dog (training, attention) and so would like to have some ideas regarding low maintenence dogs, but still friendly. The opposite of a Golden Retriever or Chihuahua. Any ideaS?Hold up, the reason that I said I wanted to get a dog 'for the fun of it', is because developing a relationship with anyone, or anything is fun. If it wasn't, why would anyone bother knowing someone? There would be no reason to love anything or anyone, if it wasn't enjoyable. So for all of you losers (LISA) that think you know what you are talking about - shut the fuck up! As for the Bull Mastiff idea, thank you so much for actually reading and comprehending the question. I guess it was too hard for the others to understand. Someone didn't graduate highschool!

What is the best sort of large breed dog to buy? One that doesn't need a lot of time and attention? Dogs Training Discussions
    • BULLMASTIFF!!! THESE DOGS ARE CALLED THE GENTLE GIANTS. THEY ARE LOW MAINTENANCE, LAZY DOGS. THEY LOVE TO JUST BE WHEREVER YOU ARE. THEY ARE PERFECT FOR APARTMENTS AS THEY DON'T YIP AND YAP AND ACT LIKE LUNATICS. THEY ARE GREAT WITH KIDS AND ARE HIGHLY PROTECTIVE OF THEIR HOME, VEHICLE, YARD, AND MOST OF ALL, FAMILY. WE OWN ONE OURSELVES, AND I COULDN'T IMAGINE LIFE WITHOUT HER.

• Would you have a kid just for fun? If thats the only reason you want a dog is to have something to look at go buy a picture book or something. Get real!!!! Dogs need just as much attention as a person does.....my opinion, you dont need a dog.

• We have a Great Dane took him to a few classes when he was a pup. He is the sweetest dog you can imagine, has a bark like the hound of the Baskervilles but gentle as can be. Eats like a horse though.

• If you really don't have the time to devote to training or paying attention to your dog, I would vote for you not getting one until you do have the time. All dog breeds need time and attention!

• you are a perfect example of a human that does NOT have the right to own a pet. a dog is an animal, every animal needs attention and training. your the type that gets a dog because its 'fun' and end up giving it up to the animal shelter claiming its not what you wanted because your to lazy to take time to spend with your dog. there are no low maintenence dogs, every dog needs attention,exercise,love and training.

• Dogs aren't accessories to keep around and only enjoy when it is convenient for you. They need to be part of a pack. The pet that would be perfect for you is a hamster or fish. Dogs are social and all dogs should have training, love, and attention available to them. Please reconsider. It will be best for you to have a dog when you have the time for one.I cannot reply to your e-mail because your e-mail hasn't been confirmed through Yahoo Answers so here is my reply:You have to admit that your question was somewhat misleading. There are many people that answered along the same lines that I did. All big breed dogs will require at least 2 thirty minute walks a day. You will want to stay away from high-energy dogs, like Border Collies, and Australian Shepards. I would still suggest that you search your local animal shelter first. The animal shelter that I adopted my dog from has volunteers that foster the dogs and they have a great understanding of the dog's personality which helps them match the dog with the perfect home. I would think that you would want an adult dog because puppies will require things like training and lots of attention. I wish you luck in your quest and I apologize for the misunderstanding. Being an animal lover and misinterpreting the question I hope you can see where I would answer in the way that I did

• You do not get a dog or any animal "just for fun". All pets require time and attention. Do not get any kind of animal as long as this is your attitude. A pet becomes a member of your family and requires time, attention, proper care, proper nutrition, regular vet checks, suitable living environment for the climate. Getting a dog requires a commitment to its care for 10-15 years. Being a pet owner is not a something you become on a whim. If you don't have time to invest in a dog, then do not get one. No dog will be friendly without proper training, socialization, and love. Take the money you'd spend on buying a big dog and donate it to your local animal shelter since that is where your dog would most likely end up if you got one.

• THE BETTER THE BREEDING AND THE BETTER TRAINING THE DOG HAS THE LOWER maintenance THE DOG BECOMES. THERE ARE A LOT OF BOOKS OUT THERE TO HELP YOU MAKE A EDUCATE DECISION. MY SUGGESTION IDS TO GO TO THE LIBRARY AND DO SOME RESEARCH.REMEMBER ALL PUPPIES CHEW THINGS SO IF YOUR GONE KEEP HIM WHERE HE CAN DO THE LEAST DAMAGE.WE'VE HAD 4 DOGS AND IN THE END THE ONLY DOG WE LIKED AND HAVE KEEP BECAUSE OF HER LOW maintenance IS OUR NORWEGIAN ELK HOUND (35 LBS) SHE WAS THE ONE WE DID THE MOST RESEARCH ON BEFORE BUYING. SO RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH BEFORE YOU GET ANY DOG (DON'T LISTEN TO OTHER PEOPLE WHAT'S RIGHT FOR THEM MAY NOT BE RIGHT FOR YOU.