How to stop a dog from nipping and jumping?

My brother has a 2 year old blue tick coonhound for a pet. She's very hyper and jumps on everyone and nips at our clothes. We've tried kneeing her when she jumps on us, but she seems to think we're playing or something. How to stop her?

My brother has a 2 year old blue tick coonhound for a pet. She's very hyper and jumps on everyone and nips at our clothes. We've tried kneeing her when she jumps on us, but she seems to think we're playing or something. How to stop her?...
    Other Pet Discussions : How to stop a dog from nipping and jumping?...

• How to stop a dog from nipping and jumping?

How to stop a dog from nipping and jumping? Other Pet Discussions
      My brother has a 2 year old blue tick coonhound for a pet. She's very hyper and jumps on everyone and nips at our clothes. We've tried kneeing her when she jumps on us, but she seems to think we're playing or something. How to stop her?

How to stop a dog from nipping and jumping? Other Pet Discussions
    • You've got to be firm with and tell her down when she jumps up. When you push her down make her sit still for a bit to calm her down.You've just got to be persistent

• Whatever you do everyone must be 100% consistent and never encourage the jumping. This includes giggling, petting, talking, any attention at all. First teach the dog to sit. If you do not know how take the dog to a beginning obedience class. Actually it sounds like you need beginning obedience anyway. You may need to start with private lessons as classes are very exciting. No one enjoys class when the dog spends its whole time jumping up and throwing a temper tantrum because it wants to play with the other dogs(experience talking).I would teach not jumping by having the dog on a tie down, a metal cable attached to the wall or furniture. Start in a quiet room with only one person. Have the person approach the dog and ask for a sit. When the dog is sitting the dog gets attention. When the dog breaks the sit and jumps the person goes away, the opposite of what the dog wants. Gradually increase the temptation(more people, more exiting people, high pitched voices, people with food, etc.). Once the dog can behave on the tie down change to a leash.