How can I make my dog sleep through the first night?

I got a dog, and now my major concern is how can I make it sleep through the whole night? Its out first dog, and his first day/night here.Thank goodness I dont have school tomorrow, so I have an advantage to be awake the whole night.

I got a dog, and now my major concern is how can I make it sleep through the whole night? Its out first dog, and his first day/night here.Thank goodness I dont have school tomorrow, so I have an advantage to be awake the whole night....
    Other Pet Discussions : How can I make my dog sleep through the first night?...

• How can I make my dog sleep through the first night?

How can I make my dog sleep through the first night? Other Pet Discussions
      I got a dog, and now my major concern is how can I make it sleep through the whole night? Its out first dog, and his first day/night here.Thank goodness I dont have school tomorrow, so I have an advantage to be awake the whole night.

How can I make my dog sleep through the first night? Other Pet Discussions
    • That is probably asking for a bit much. Over the years I have found that I would get the most sleep by placing the pups crate right beside my bed so that when the pup feels insecure during the night I can just reach out with a hand to reassure it that it isn't alone.Expect the 3 AM potty brake, it comes free of charge with every pup.

• You actually cant do this. The first few nights are gonna be restless for the dog, a new environment, new people. It will be about 4-5 days till the dog gets used to you unless you spend every second of the day with it and play with it. Don't try to train it now either, this can just cause it to not like you. Take it for a nice long walk to get your bond strong!Good Luck!

• Here's what we did: Last meal should be three hours before bed-time. Last drink of water should be two hours before bed time. Go for a nice walk right before you put him away.You should put him to be later than normal - we started putting our dog to bed at 11 - so you set him up to succeed (going a "whole night" without potty breaks.) Wake up earlier than normal - we got up at five. You can certainly go back to bed after that, or you can make your alarm go off at 2 if you want to do a 9-7.If he whines and you KNOW it isn't a "i have to go potty" whine, ignore him. If you think he has to go it never hurts to get up and let him out (in between whines) so he isn't forced to soil his crate. He goes right back in after and any whining is ignored.My dog only whined for about 20 mins the first night, 10 the second, then none at all the third. By the end of the week she was sleeping 9-2, potty break, then 2:20-7. By week two she slept from 10-6 with only a few accidents (mainly pee.) By the end of the month she could go eight hours without accidents.FYI she was only 6 lbs at that point. A small dog.

• Actually..... you may well find he sleeps fine through the first night after all the excitement of new smells and new places, and perhaps a journey home too. He's likely to be worn out! It's the second, third etc. nights when it's more likely to kick off. I'm afraid chances are you will have some nights of broken sleep - if you want to reduce this, and respect any neighbours you might have too, you might have him sleep in a crate alongside your bed so when he wakes, he will hopefully be reassured that he's not totally alone. But there's no way you can compensate for his litter mates, other than to buy two perhaps!! lol. It will get better however.PS a nice walk before bedtime isn't an option unless your pup/dog is older, and has had alll his shots!

• a pup from a reputable breeder would sleep thru the night.. what age, and where is the dog fromthis is what many reputable breeders do to ensure an easy transition to a new home..... THIS IS WHY IT IS SO GOOD TO USE A REPUTALBLE BREEDER!Ask anyone who’s bought one - an Honor puppy is SPECIAL. No matter how great the pedigree, no matter how wonderful the parents are - the environment during the bitch’s pregnancy and the all important weeks following the birth has a lasting, unalterable affect on how your puppy will behave upon arrival in his new home - including his attitude, personality and intelligence as a grown up dog! Our puppies are whelped beside the bed with their first week being spent just sleeping and eating, with our family on 24 hour Watch! We bottle feed baby pups even when mom has enough milk and the litter is small or average sized - this bonds the puppy to the human scent and associates them with human handling, cuddling and nursing. It is a bond that can never be broken. As they grow older, we clip their toenails while they nurse on mom. By 3 weeks of age, these pups have already begun their housebreaking! What we do from here on will teach a puppy to be clean in your house. During the next 2 weeks, our puppies are in the middle of a very busy household. People are coming and going (after spraying with disinfectant to avoid outside disease,) pots and pans are being dropped, the vacuum cleaner is being busily used, the sound of the washer and dryer are preparing clean, warm blankets to sleep on , the television is blaring, etc., etc. The puppies are constantly being picked up, cuddled and rocked, carried and held everywhere and anywhere. By 5 weeks of age, we have found a puppy is much more pliable about being separated from Mom and litter-mates while still at the breeders. They learn to be self confident in familiar surroundings which helps when they are alone. One by one, they are placed in a bathroom (on newspapers) for an hour or so, with food, water and a bone. They adapt quickly and if they cry, it's only momentary. We repeat this off and on up to 7 weeks old – this prepares the puppy for his first night away at her/her new home. He/she does not cry because he’s not unhappy and being alone hasn't been an unpleasant experience. The new owners are presented with a WELL-ADJUSTED, quiet puppy. By the puppy’s 5th and 6th weeks we begin the leash training. At this age, they have a natural following instinct which makes the beginning easy. "Come" when called? That’s an easy one! From 3 weeks on every time they are fed, we call a loud, happy "Puppies Come!", so at 6 weeks they ALL come running! Around this same time, comes the bathing, blow drying, continued toenail clipping, trips to the airport, playing show puppy, etc. Of course there is also the intelligence testing, retrieving tests, etc. Full Time? Yes, but everyone benefits from all the love and care - the puppy and the new owner!

• Put its bed near yours so he can see you (put a ticking clock by him) out of his reach though cause you don't want him to chew on it- the ticking will imitate a momma dog's heartbeat. Works great to soothe your pup who is trying to adjust to a new environment. Or if you have a crate do the same. I would put a soft blanket in there for comfort as well.good luck!