Would neutering my dog make him less aggresive?

My dog is 2 years old now.He's a shih-zu and ever since i got him he's been aggresive.He's been biting my whole family and i want it to stop but i also dont want to give him away.Do you think it might be to late now to neuter him.

My dog is 2 years old now.He's a shih-zu and ever since i got him he's been aggresive.He's been biting my whole family and i want it to stop but i also dont want to give him away.Do you think it might be to late now to neuter him....
    General Dog Discussions : Would neutering my dog make him less aggresive?...

• Would neutering my dog make him less aggresive?

Would neutering my dog make him less aggresive? General Dog Discussions
      My dog is 2 years old now.He's a shih-zu and ever since i got him he's been aggresive.He's been biting my whole family and i want it to stop but i also dont want to give him away.Do you think it might be to late now to neuter him.

Would neutering my dog make him less aggresive? General Dog Discussions
    • Yes this will help a whole lot less testosterone which is what makes them so aggressive and excitable. It will also help prevent unwanted puppies which can be expensive and there are already so many dogs without home because of over breeding :)

• Not really. He either needs to be TRAINED and everyone needs to be consistent with the training or his temperament is completely screwed. Removing his testicles will NOT give you the perfect dog.

• It is never too late to neuter. Schedule the surgery as soon as you can. But, neutering is no substitute for training. You will still need to work on obedience and socialization to resolve this problem. Enroll him in a training class if you need help.

• It's not too late for working one on one with a certified applied animal behaviorist, or possibly an experienced, certified clicker trainer.Neutering can prevent a dog from developing the habits of territorial marking all over the house and wandering off in search of females in heat but otherwise it does NOT change behavior, sorry.

• If your pet is not intended for breeding, neutering is advised to prevent aggressiveness related to sex hormones. Though neutering is not a treatment for aggression, it can help minimize the severity and escalation of aggressiveness and is often the first step toward resolving an aggressive behavior problem. Specific diagnosis of the type of aggression displayed by your pet, identification of the situations that trigger it, and retraining your pet to behave differently are still essential.

• Do not allow behavior from a small dog that is not acceptable from a large dog. Have the dog neutered. Hire a private trainer to come to your home to observe the interaction of family members with the dog. Private training is cost effective because it is one on one training for a limited time.

• It "could" make him less aggressive. Please have him neutered ASAP, and see if that helps. This should have been done at 6 months.I highly recommend a a orofessional behaviorist and work closely with them to see what can be done about his behavior. At this time there is no way you can "give" an aggressive dog away, you will be held responsible if he bites someone. Get started now, have him neutered and contact a behaviorist.