How do I get my dog to jump on the couch by himself?

He is a 10 month old maltese puppy and weighs about 7 pounds. Hes fine with jumping off of things, but he will never jump into the car or onto the couch. Our other dog, a 5 year old yorkipoo, is about the same size and is able to do these things. I can…

He is a 10 month old maltese puppy and weighs about 7 pounds. Hes fine with jumping off of things, but he will never jump into the car or onto the couch. Our other dog, a 5 year old yorkipoo, is about the same size and is able to do these things. I can…...
    General Dog Discussions : How do I get my dog to jump on the couch by himself?...

• How do I get my dog to jump on the couch by himself?

How do I get my dog to jump on the couch by himself? General Dog Discussions
      He is a 10 month old maltese puppy and weighs about 7 pounds. Hes fine with jumping off of things, but he will never jump into the car or onto the couch. Our other dog, a 5 year old yorkipoo, is about the same size and is able to do these things. I can tell that he wants to come on the couch sometimes, but he just doesnt jump. He doesn't even try! I have seen him jump, but he just scratches on the couch. What do I do?

How do I get my dog to jump on the couch by himself? General Dog Discussions
    • If he wants up with you, you simply wait him out till he gets up there. Might try giving him a taste of something REALLY yummy .. and then putting a piece of it on the couch out of his reach. If he thinks the treat is yummy enough, he'll figure a way up.

• This is a good thing as jumping onto things/running up stairs etc can put strain on a dog's joints, especially a small dog. As he's so small, why don't you just pick him up and put him on the couch? Its not hard.