Will living in Florida make my animals less tolerant to cold weather?

I have 3 dogs (5 year old Lab Husky mix, 2 year old Cocker Spaniel, 10 month old Papillon) 2 cats (10 year old Bengal, 1 year old Bombay Egyptian Mau mix) a bunny (5 month old Lionhead) a hamster (6 month old Fancy Bear Syrian) and two frogs a snail and…

I have 3 dogs (5 year old Lab Husky mix, 2 year old Cocker Spaniel, 10 month old Papillon) 2 cats (10 year old Bengal, 1 year old Bombay Egyptian Mau mix) a bunny (5 month old Lionhead) a hamster (6 month old Fancy Bear Syrian) and two frogs a snail and…...
    General Dog Discussions : Will living in Florida make my animals less tolerant to cold weather?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Will living in Florida make my animals less tolerant to cold weather?

Will living in Florida make my animals less tolerant to cold weather? General Dog Discussions
      I have 3 dogs (5 year old Lab Husky mix, 2 year old Cocker Spaniel, 10 month old Papillon) 2 cats (10 year old Bengal, 1 year old Bombay Egyptian Mau mix) a bunny (5 month old Lionhead) a hamster (6 month old Fancy Bear Syrian) and two frogs a snail and fourth nine fish. We have lived in Pennsylvania all their lives, where the highest is in winter and it can get to about 90 and the lowest is maybe -5 in the winter. If we move to Florida will it make them less tolerant to cold weather if we come back here to visit? Like will they get too used to the warm or like develop lighter coats? I was just wondering lolI ment forty nine fish lol. I doubt it will affect the fish though as they'll be inside xDMy rabbit does live inside. He is only allowed outside if he is in a pen and I am sitting with him or if I have him on his harness and leash. All three dogs live inside but they do go outside for quite a while in the day as well as to go to he bathroom. The cats stay inside unless I have them out on a leash. The hamster lives inside and all the fish and frog and snail tanks are inside.And don't worry, there is no way I would rehouse or get rid of any of my animals. Not even any of the fish. I love them all and if for some reason one of them couldn't move then I wouldn't move at all. I was just wondering if when we came back for the holidays of they would get really cold from being used to the heat or if when we move if they will get really hot.And I ment the highest is in summer not winter xD

Will living in Florida make my animals less tolerant to cold weather? General Dog Discussions
    • In order for your pets to tolerate extreme temperatures (especially cold), you need to mix mountain dew into their drinks, food or even just give it to them straight.

• They most likely will gain thinner coats, and will be less tolerant to cold weather, but it's no big deal. It's not like they'll get sick, their fur is made to protect them from the cold anyways lol. Maybe if you go in the winter, buy them dog sweaters.

• No. Animals aren't like humans. They can't just take off or add layers to adjust to the weather, and they don't adapt that quickly. You need to adapt the conditions to meet their needs, not expect them to suddenly evolve to fit your new surroundings. On the bright side, it's easier to move to heat than to cold. The fish might need a cooling system of some kind, which isn't hard to get. I had a simple one on my fish for years, and they were fine. The Husky mix can be shaved down in the summer and kept out of the sun, as can the other dogs. They may or may not start developing lighter coats, though I don't think it'll happen for a few years. I'm assuming the hamster is inside, as are the frogs and fish. Just keep the rooms cooler for them. The rabbit will probably need watched a bit, because I'm assuming you won't want to keep it in the house. We both know the ammonia in their urine can be overwhelming. I kept rabbits in the heat, though, and I just built a large hutch and placed it in the shade. I installed a simple misting system to keep their temperatures down when it was really hot, and they were perfectly fine. Just be careful. You may have to move the animals around until you get it right for them, but if you can't do that, then find new homes for them before you leave. I know that's hard, but sometimes it's necessary.