What are some fun exercises for a beginner rider?

I am giving some basic lessons to a young girl who loves horses but is very timid and nervous. We are working on the basic points of position, steering, and stopping and balancing stuff on the lunge line (hands up, out, to the ears, to the rear, stand…

I am giving some basic lessons to a young girl who loves horses but is very timid and nervous. We are working on the basic points of position, steering, and stopping and balancing stuff on the lunge line (hands up, out, to the ears, to the rear, stand…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : What are some fun exercises for a beginner rider?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What are some fun exercises for a beginner rider?

What are some fun exercises for a beginner rider? Dogs Training Discussions
      I am giving some basic lessons to a young girl who loves horses but is very timid and nervous. We are working on the basic points of position, steering, and stopping and balancing stuff on the lunge line (hands up, out, to the ears, to the rear, stand up...) She really needs a lot more time in the saddle to learn to relax before we can work on anything new, so I am looking for fun things she can do to keep her from getting bored during this process. Any suggestions?

What are some fun exercises for a beginner rider? Dogs Training Discussions
    • I was the same way when i started when i was 3. They put me on a line and had me figure stuff out by myself. Is that the best and most "fun" way to learn? No. But it paid off. ask her if she would like to learn by "herself" and figure things out like me. If she says "no" then come up wiith some creative stuff. Make a trail course. .There is this great book i bought that has loads of fun things to do to learn to ride, i use it in my lessons all the time! check out the book stores, they might have something there! When i was younger they had me trot around the ring for MILES. I figured stuff out by myself. Maybe she just needs to be "left alone" and figure things out by herself?

• I'm not necessarily a beginner but i am treated like one because i recently bought a green broke horse but anyway my trainer makes me get on her and do figure eights, stop back three steps turn, sharp turns, moving around in the saddle, on the Lounge line her makes me drop my reigns and hold my arms out and move them this exercise forces you to sit up straight.

• For you this is boring; for her, not so much. She's on a horse, she gets to spend time with someone she respects (you) and she is aware that she is working on something useful. Don't be too much in a hurry to think you need to change things up.I have my girls count the number of really good, balanced trot posts they can do before they get a "double bump," I have them name parts of the horse while they are posting, and then if you want to really challenge (and improve!) her balance, have her do "post 1, stand 2" This makes the horse slow down a little, it brings her balance forward so as not be always be behind the motion (why they get those double bumps) and it is really a cool challenge. try it yourself when going around the school. It makes the horses round down and bring their backs up, so it's good for them as well as the riders!

• I would do things like 'round the world' and 'half scissors' as well as start teaching her things like breeds, colours, horse parts. Keep it basic but it should get her mind off the worry and she will relax because she is busy trying to remember names etc. Our instructors used to do this with us way back when. basic guide to...Round The World - she throws one leg over the ponies neck so she is sitting on sideways, then the other leg over so she is sitting on backwards, then the next leg so she is sitting sideways again and then back to the front, hence the name round the world. Half Scissors - she throws one leg over pony so she is sitting on sideways then rolls over onto her tummy, then puts her leg back over the ponies back to be sitting on to the front. Another one we used to have to do was walking around the outside of the ring then when the instructor yells out you jump off and run your pony into the center chair, like musical chairs (obviously!!) this is more fun with other people though...but will still get her confidence up getting on and off as well as leading a pony around.

• Set up courses for her to do with cones in an arena. Places to stop, back up, turn around, ect. You can mix it up each time, and it can keep things interesting. Not only is it giving her time in the saddle, but it's helping her to steer, and it's keeping her focused. Rather than just circles in the round pen, or something like that. :P