How do you cure Dog Depression?

My dog is around 8 years old we think, About 6 months ago I bought a puppy and since then she has been getting more and more depressed.Over the passed couple of days she doesn't want to look at him or be in the same room. She is a rescue dog and has…

My dog is around 8 years old we think, About 6 months ago I bought a puppy and since then she has been getting more and more depressed.Over the passed couple of days she doesn't want to look at him or be in the same room. She is a rescue dog and has…...
    General Dog Discussions : How do you cure Dog Depression?...

• How do you cure Dog Depression?

How do you cure Dog Depression? General Dog Discussions
      My dog is around 8 years old we think, About 6 months ago I bought a puppy and since then she has been getting more and more depressed.Over the passed couple of days she doesn't want to look at him or be in the same room. She is a rescue dog and has obviously had pups before. I thought she would like a companion but it doesn't seem so, what do i do?

How do you cure Dog Depression? General Dog Discussions
    • it's like when a new baby comes, the 'older sibling' will always feel a bit rejected. from my experience what dogs love most if affection and care, so as long as you still feed it, give it walks and every so often a rub on the belly, i think she'd be okay. perhaps when the puppy gets a bit older and they can play properly together they'll grow. why don't you try taking her to a dog park, teach her how to be around other dogs?

• Make sure that you still spend time with the adult. You are probably so focused on the puppy and don't even realize that you haven't been spending as much time with her. It's not totally your fault, puppies are a lot of work. Just spend more time with the adult. If the puppy is sleeping and the adult is not, sit with the adult and pet her. Take the adult for a walk by herself. When you and puppy are playing, call her over and invite her to play with both of you. Make sure that if puppy plays too rough with the adult that you step in. Don't just let it happen or the adult may not want to play with the you and puppy anymore because she'll think she'll just be "beaten up" if she does. Make sure you are playing referee. It's not fair if you let puppy get away with everything and you get on to adult for everything. You essentially have 2 children now so remember to not play favorites, even if puppy is the cutest thing in the world.Little moments like that will remind her that you still know she is part of the family and haven't forgotten about her and that you still love her.