Will a 9 year old dog become jealous of a brand new puppy?

I want to get a new dog to fulfiil the role of my older dog. Sadly, he is winding down, and we need to have a new dog to protect our house. Will my 9 year old, be able to "teach" the new puppy to be defensive and protective of our family, like he is? or…

I want to get a new dog to fulfiil the role of my older dog. Sadly, he is winding down, and we need to have a new dog to protect our house. Will my 9 year old, be able to "teach" the new puppy to be defensive and protective of our family, like he is? or…...
    General Dog Discussions : Will a 9 year old dog become jealous of a brand new puppy?...

• Will a 9 year old dog become jealous of a brand new puppy?

Will a 9 year old dog become jealous of a brand new puppy? General Dog Discussions
      I want to get a new dog to fulfiil the role of my older dog. Sadly, he is winding down, and we need to have a new dog to protect our house. Will my 9 year old, be able to "teach" the new puppy to be defensive and protective of our family, like he is? or will he ignore the new puppy?thanks for the answers.

Will a 9 year old dog become jealous of a brand new puppy? General Dog Discussions
    • every dog is different.but make sure that the dog and the puppy are treated the same .that will make the older dog feel that he is still loved and needed.and he will teach the puppy many thing .when you bring the puppy home make sure you introduce them together.and watch them for couple of hours and make sure the older dog will not attack the puppy.there have been some incidents that the older dog killed or seriously injured the puppy good luck