Does anyone know anything about dogs with skin problems?

My dog is a 10 year old Chow / Rottweiler mix and recently he has started to get black looking, scabby patches under his fur, and when you pet him or brush him, small clumps of hair with skin attached fall out, does anyone know what might cause this, or…

My dog is a 10 year old Chow / Rottweiler mix and recently he has started to get black looking, scabby patches under his fur, and when you pet him or brush him, small clumps of hair with skin attached fall out, does anyone know what might cause this, or…...
    General Dog Discussions : Does anyone know anything about dogs with skin problems?...

• Does anyone know anything about dogs with skin problems?

Does anyone know anything about dogs with skin problems? General Dog Discussions
      My dog is a 10 year old Chow / Rottweiler mix and recently he has started to get black looking, scabby patches under his fur, and when you pet him or brush him, small clumps of hair with skin attached fall out, does anyone know what might cause this, or how to fix it? He also seems to have some new black patches around his nose. Please help.My dog does have a flea allergy, he has to get frontline and coritisone injections each year, but usually the only reaction he has from the fleas is he digs a hole in his hip, thats usually how we know it's time to get him started on the meds. And I know we should take him to the vet, and we will, but the last time we took him in for a very substantail weight loss, the doc pretty much seemed to brush it off as him getting older and said to limit his protein, and now, not much later this is happening, don't know if I might need to find a new vet. It's common sense he needs to see a vet, was just hoping someone on here might have some answers or ideas for us.

Does anyone know anything about dogs with skin problems? General Dog Discussions
    • It sounds most like an allergy. His kibble may need to be changed to an hypo-allergenic formula. Ask at your local pet supply as to which formula they carry. You want one with no corn or soy or wheat.Rice is best, and chicken or lamb as the first ingredient. Solid Gold makes a very good one with Fish.Give him a cool bath with an oatmeal shampoo, such as Aveeno, or a generic of same. Rinse it well. This will make him comfortable and help him heal.

• It sounds like you may have something there. No won can diagnose it without seeing it. You could have anything from an allergy to mange or even something worse.I would say get to a vet, there the condition can be diagnosed and treated.

• A vet will have to do a skin scraping or take a biopsy to diagnose your dogs condition. It may be as simple as dry skin or not so simple as melanoma, demodex, scabies, sunburn, flea allergy dermatitis, other allergies, autoimmune disease etc...Is the dog itchy? Best advise, get the dog to a vet and have it checked out.Hope all goes well.

• This is a yearly thing? How long after annual vaccinations does this happend? Also note that according to manufacturers' recommendations, only healthy dogs should be vaccinated. Check into the Wisconsin Univ. web site.http://svmweb.vetmed.wisc.edu/articles/68/5/39http://www.news.wisc.edu/releases/8413.html

• Pure breeds puppies have more of a tendency to be having skin problems and infections. Unfortunately this puppy skin disorders are are not easy to get rid of. These types of problems are things that only a veterinarian can take care of and treat adequately. There are also many different types of allergies that itch very intensely causing the puppy or dog to bite at his skin or coat and this can cause the dog to bite into his own skin causing nasty infections and scabs.

• I have a shepherd-chow mix, 10 years old, who has had flea allergy all her life. The skin on her belly and under her arms is black and scaly, like an alligator. She gets medicated baths, I keep her fur trimmed pretty short, and she is on cortisone 3 times a week, and benadryl daily. This regime controls it pretty well. I would find another vet, with a reccommendation from someone you know and trust. There is a reason for her weight loss. If she's otherwise pretty healthy, there's no reason she shouldn't enjoy several more happy years. I wish you the best.

• Dogs are just like humans in a way. They can get all the same skin problems and more. And yes although it wouldn't be that obvious they can also get skin cancer.

• First of all the weight problem is because of the fleas. The blood loss from the fleas biting your dog make him anemic and he doesn't get necessary vitamins or iron and therefore looses weight. Get him on a good healthy diet...Eukanuba or Iams dry dog foods are some good suggestions. Buy the one that is specific to the age of your dog. You might also get some liquid doggie vitamins to supplement his diet (sprinkled on his food).The hair loss could be from the fleas but the black spots and hair loss could be sarcoptic mange...if the hair is loosening in clumps. This is a dog "scabies" and it is contagious to humans. You will need to have the dog dipped in an insecticide if this is the case. Just go to the vet and have him do a skin scraping to test for mites/scabies (aka; sarcoptic mange). If it is positive you will need to sterilize everything (dog bedding etc..) in hot water and bleach the hard surfaces. Before you go crazy sterilizing everything...have the vet do the tests, then let me know how it comes out.