Does anyone know anything about dogs with skin problems?

My dog is a 10 year old Chow / Rottweiler mix and recently he has started to get black looking, scabby patches under his fur, and when you pet him or brush him, small clumps of hair with skin attached fall out, does anyone know what might cause this, or…

Does anyone know anything about dogs with skin problems?

My dog is a 10 year old Chow / Rottweiler mix and recently he has started to get black looking, scabby patches under his fur, and when you pet him or brush him, small clumps of hair with skin attached fall out, does anyone know what might cause this, or…...
    General Dog Discussions : Does anyone know anything about dogs with skin problems?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• If you are like many of us and can't afford high-cost tests, start by changing the food, as suggested. You could also try putting a little Flax oil on his/her food, which is wonderful for skin conditions (I use it for exzema on myself). It is often caused by an internal problem. You could give it a try at least.

• This sounds like mange. We rescued a stray dog that had it bad. (Still have her -- her name is Gypsy.) Mange is caused by little microscopic insects that suck the dog's blood and itch terribly. You need to see a vet for this, because home remedies don't really work and your dog will continue to be in misery. My vet gave us a systemic medication that we put into the dog's food once daily for a month. This works from the inside out to kill the mange mites through the dog's blood. Her hair grew back in fine.

• something like this just happen to our pit bull pup she is only 5 months old we had to take her to the vet because we tried to treat it at home but it just got worse any way all her hair fell out and her skin was really red we took her in and the vet said she was bitten by a flea the she is allergic to we had to get antibiotics it has only been a week or two but her hair is already growing back and all the redness is gone no more cleaning up hair either. So I would say the best thing to do is take the dog in to be seen. I don't know where you live but here we have a low cost animal clinic we only had to $35.00 for the visit and the meds. were $37.00 that isn't bad. alot of places wanted $50-$75 just to look at her. well good luck by the way you can also search the web try typing in info on sick dogs losing hair.

• I have a 6 week old boxer puppy. We took her to the vet today for shots. We have the same problem with her. He said it was a fungus. He put her on a Chlorahexiderm shampoo to use once or twice. He also gave us some Chlorahexiderm spray in a bottle & told us to use a cotton ball & apply it at least once a day. When we see these dry patches, remove the fur on it & apply this medicine. He said it should clear up in a couple of weeks. I asked the lady behind the counter if the shampoo he gave us would be enough for one treatment or more than one. She said we should bathe her with it tonight & maybe do it again in 2 weeks. This sounds exactly like what Nikita has. The vet also told us to be careful @ her & always wash our hands. It is contagious.Please take him to the vet & ask him about it. Don't take any chances.Good Luck

• You can give a dog one pill of Benadryl a day for his allergies. It works on dogs & they have no adverse reactions to it. The black patches with hair on them are scabs, probably from scratching. I have a 10yr old Australian Cattle Dong who has horrible allergies in the summer. A Benadryl a day controls it beautifully. I got this advice from my Vet. He said it's cheaper than dog meds & office visits.

• this sounds like "hot spots".it is like a psoriasis or dermatitis that humans get.moisturize continually, and be sure that the dog doesn't attempt to bite or mutilate the areas. if it does, see a vet immediately so that infection does not occur.