How often are puppies effected by tape worms (Dipylidium)?

Ok so I know all types of worms are harmful for dogs and any dog with worms should be checked out by a vet, but some people do deworming themselves, now I know that deworming puppies with over the counter medicines can be dangerous and have side effects,…

Ok so I know all types of worms are harmful for dogs and any dog with worms should be checked out by a vet, but some people do deworming themselves, now I know that deworming puppies with over the counter medicines can be dangerous and have side effects,…...
    General Dog Discussions : How often are puppies effected by tape worms (Dipylidium)?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How often are puppies effected by tape worms (Dipylidium)?

How often are puppies effected by tape worms (Dipylidium)? General Dog Discussions
      Ok so I know all types of worms are harmful for dogs and any dog with worms should be checked out by a vet, but some people do deworming themselves, now I know that deworming puppies with over the counter medicines can be dangerous and have side effects, but there is a wormer called panacur c which seems to be the safest of them all, also I know tons and tons of people who used this product with no side effects at all, It claims to treat giardia, round worms, hook worms, whip worms, and tape worms, but only the taenia species of tape worms and not Dipylidium which is the most common kind caused by fleas, so my question is how harmful is the tape worms caused by fleas compared to round worms, whip worms, and hook worms.

How often are puppies effected by tape worms (Dipylidium)? General Dog Discussions
    • All puppies need de-wormed at some point~ Like you said, I would not trust the over the counter medicine. Go to your vet and get a CapSTAR- It's the "all kill pill" that costs $8. Works on fleas, ticks, worms etc and is intended to treat infestations. It's not meant to be used as a monthly treatment like Revolution or Frontline. If he is very young, he might be too little to be dosed with any kind of wormer, which is why it's a good idea at least call your vet and ask about the right age you can start worming just to be safe even if you do decide to go with the self-wormer. Some Tractor Supply stores will carry CapSTAR- ours used to but stopped. Because it's what the vet uses, I'd say that's safe to get over the counter if you see it :) Just watch for the proper dose~

• Tape worms are more harmful because they stay the longest and they get the biggest. They are harder to get rid of then the other types of worms as well. I use Panacur for my guys every few months just to be sure. I also give ivermectin once a month to help prevent heart worms and it also helps to prevent the re-infestation of other types of worms. If your dog has Tape worms from fleas then you need to get it Droncit. Once it is treated have it on a schedule treatment and make sure it gets the ivermectin as well. This will help to prevent the re-infestation of all of the worms.