How to get rid of horsey smell on my clothes?

My clothes absolutley reek of horses. Friends and family keep saying how much I smell of horses and my nice clothes are starting to smell too. I used to like the smell but now it's really annoying. My horses don't like it when I smell of perfume or…

My clothes absolutley reek of horses. Friends and family keep saying how much I smell of horses and my nice clothes are starting to smell too. I used to like the smell but now it's really annoying. My horses don't like it when I smell of perfume or…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How to get rid of horsey smell on my clothes?...

• How to get rid of horsey smell on my clothes?

How to get rid of horsey smell on my clothes? Other Pet Discussions
      My clothes absolutley reek of horses. Friends and family keep saying how much I smell of horses and my nice clothes are starting to smell too. I used to like the smell but now it's really annoying. My horses don't like it when I smell of perfume or spray, they prefer the smell of themselves, and that's about the only benefit. My coats are always in the wash, and I usually get the smell in the evening, after stuffing haynets, changing rugs etc. Any tips?

How to get rid of horsey smell on my clothes? Other Pet Discussions
    • I have separate "barn clothes", and "nice clothes". Whenever I get back from the barn, all of my "barn clothes" either go in the laundry basket or just in the laundry room (seperated from the laundry), until the next day I go to the barn. Just keep all of your clothes separated from each other and it shouldn't be a problem. I go to the barn everyday, and have never had this problem. Maybe you should try a new detergent?

• don't wear your nice clothes near the horses. get certain clothes that aren't great to wear around them and to keep the smell off your good clothes keep your "horse" clothes away from them.

• get rid ov ur horses or horse.....then cleen ur clothes many many times....or if u luv ur horse so dam much then just wen u got out n take care ov ur horse then just wear the same outfitt ner it...if there r no kidz in ur home n u liv by ur self take off ur clothes on the portch run in ur house and take a shower

• Ok I totally understand this my friends and family say the same things, and I just told them to get used to it until I found out that you could use baking soda to get rid of smells just like some people do with their cats litter boxes. All you have to do is put a small amount on your clothes and rub it around, or you can use it in the washing machine. I really hope this helps, and if you don't trust me on this you could most definitely research it.

• Keep your nice clothes away from your barn clothes. I like to keep my barn clothes in my garage; jacket, boots, and some jeans (if I wear them more than once). This way, the smell can't get carried over to my nice clothes in my closet. As well, don't keep dirty barn clothes like jeans or shirts in your room laundry basket. Take them straight to the laundry room/area. That's what works for me and my "nice" clothes never smell like horse.

• One thing i can think of is to maybe wash your clothes in Arm & Hammer laundry detergent. If its really bad try this: Soak your clothes over night in a solution equivalent to 1 (one) cup each of ammonia,white vinegar, & baking soda, per gallon of water used.Then wash and dry normally.

• i have my school clothing and riding clothing separate,i never use my school clothing to go riding so it doesn't smell.so get some old t-shirts and pants and use those ONLY for riding.its not a fashion show, nobody will care.(:and wash them but hang dry them if you really want the smell out,i had to do that for awhile until i started using two different sets of clothing.its a pain but its worth it!!hope this helps<3

• i wash my clothes in lemon oil which u can get at health food stores. i just put a couple drops in with the detergent. u can also use lime oil which u can also get at health food stores. sometimes pet stores hav things that are just for getting animal smell out of ur clothes. maybe u should get some trashy clothes and change into them when u are going to do barn chores. hope this helped.

• Just take a shower and change your clothes when you get home. I go to the barn right after school unless I have other plans and when I get home I shower. Of course my house smells like my dog so it wouldn't matter if I showered or not! Or for a quick fix Raley's and Walmart sell nifty bottles of watered down perfume for about 5 bucks that last for months even you completely spray down your clothes. You could keep one of those in your car for on the way home and you wouldn't smell like horses by the time you got back.

• wash your barn clothes by themselves in small loads with a little extra soap, and dont let them sit in a hamper or pile or basket or whatever with your good clothes