What should I do with my parakeet who beats up the other one?

I have had this female parakeet for 4 years. I got this cute little male blue one about a year after that, and they are always fighting. I'm sick of letting her pick on and beat up on my little blue guy. I would feel way too guilty to let her go - her…

I have had this female parakeet for 4 years. I got this cute little male blue one about a year after that, and they are always fighting. I'm sick of letting her pick on and beat up on my little blue guy. I would feel way too guilty to let her go - her…...
    Other Pet Discussions : What should I do with my parakeet who beats up the other one?...

• What should I do with my parakeet who beats up the other one?

What should I do with my parakeet who beats up the other one? Other Pet Discussions
      I have had this female parakeet for 4 years. I got this cute little male blue one about a year after that, and they are always fighting. I'm sick of letting her pick on and beat up on my little blue guy. I would feel way too guilty to let her go - her wings are grown out but she'd never make it out in the open. Any ideas on what should I do? If I give her to a pet store, they'll get mad when they see how she beats up on the other birds.The cage is really big, but I guess it's not big enough for her. I'll separate them, - thanksDon't worry, they are not squabbling constantly in some little cage! He can get away from her. And I know about petfinders.com. Thanks. They are ok much of the time, just not all. And she hasn't killed him yet - they've been together almost 2 years!Ok, Ok, you guys!! Don't worry. They are in a huge cage; she is not going to kill him. They can get away from each other if they want. I'm going to sell them separately, and get either one parrot or cockatiel. I want a more tame bird, anyway, that can sit on a playpen out in the open. These parakeets are too old to train. I'm sure someone will buy them.

What should I do with my parakeet who beats up the other one? Other Pet Discussions
    • Maybe you should consider putting them in separate cages. Female parakeets tend to be more aggressive than males, especially if they're older. Please don't let her loose, she would die. If you are determined to get rid of her find a good bird rescue org and give her to them.

• First of all Parakeets are very territorial. Doesn't matter whether they are male or female. You need to separate them or they will continue to fight. If you wanted her to have a mate then you should have raised them together.

• Never let a parakeet go. That is irresponsible!! Not to mention cruel, she'll die a slow painful death from starvation. If you decide you can't keep her, take the to a shelter, the SPCA never turns away any animal.Is the cage big enough for 2 birds? A regular parakeet cage is only big enough for one bird. Consider getting a bigger one. No one would like being locked into a closet with their best friend, not to mention some stranger shoved in with out your permission.Sometimes animals just hate each other. They have personality conflicts just like people. They may never get along.

• Separate her for a while. When she calms down a bit then I would take her and put her in with the male as opposed to putting him in her cage. Sometimes that works. If not then the other parakeet can be another female and your female parakeet doesn't like her and most likely will not. It's all in working with her. Don't release your parakeet that you had for 4 years she wouldn't make it she would die. If you have to adopt her out or find a rescue org that will take her and they will find a home for her.

• I have owned birds all of my life,40+ years of experience.I've had a similar situation and ended up buying another cage and separating the two .This is not an unusual occurrence;we bird keepers have to make sure that every pet is safe,which some times means separating birds who don't get a long because of personality differences.You should never entertain the thought of letting a pet go loose!!That is unconscionable,ill-conceived,and cruel!

• I know you have this answer already but separate them (for now anyway). There's no other alternative. You can keep them beside one another so that we can be friends but not in the same cage.

• Same with me it happens just don't let it happen everyday or there's a chance that your parakeet might kill the other one , the best way for this is to separate them or just wet them .. somehow splashing them with water ( gentle ) somewhat helps it to understand not pick on the other birds .. eh works for me it might work for you

• Definitely seperate them. That cage is her territory and home and she feels that the little male has no right to be there. She will continue to pick on him and may eventually kill him. This is not her fault since she has had the home for longer. If you decide you don't want to keep her there are many wonderful bird rescues open to take in unwanted birds. Or try posting on www.petfinders.com Good luck and I hope both birds are happy in their homes soon!

• well Whit you should do separate your parakeet from the one because it going to kill the other parakeet. place one parakeet in its own cage . put the cages beside each other so the one won't missed it or just keep one give away the other one to family or Friend so they would take care of it .

• Please don't let your pretty girl go and abandon her. She'd have emotional problems for the rest of her life. They are like two kids who keep fighting, so just keep them apart in separate cages. Would you like your parents to abandon you or give you up to someone else? I don't think you would.