How can I tell which of my cats is spraying?

We have three cats and one of them is spraying our visitor's bedroom every time that we have someone visit us. Is there a way to tell which one is doing it? Will the offending cat have a different reaction when being shown his crime than the others? I…

We have three cats and one of them is spraying our visitor's bedroom every time that we have someone visit us. Is there a way to tell which one is doing it? Will the offending cat have a different reaction when being shown his crime than the others? I…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How can I tell which of my cats is spraying?...

• How can I tell which of my cats is spraying?

How can I tell which of my cats is spraying? Other Pet Discussions
      We have three cats and one of them is spraying our visitor's bedroom every time that we have someone visit us. Is there a way to tell which one is doing it? Will the offending cat have a different reaction when being shown his crime than the others? I know that I should not punish them, but at least I want to be able to identify which one has the issues.

How can I tell which of my cats is spraying? Other Pet Discussions
    • Look to the one that isn't spayed or neutered first. Then, if they all are, which one is male...even neutered males will spray. If they're all neutered males, look the the most "alpha" male of the bunch, then you'll have your culprit. Keep him out of your guest room. Tell your guest to close the door to the room when entering and leaving.

• i have a similar problem, and the truth is you really just don't knowin my situation, we had to take the "meaner" cat and put her on a light sedativeif you have a cat that is more aggressive than the others i suggest you try this...it doesn't hurt at all but it will help you get to the bottom of your issue

• I would just suggest getting them fixed. I don't normally like doing that to animals but I'm so glad I got mine done. He's almost 10 now and he's been an awesome companion without all the awful meowing and spraying that comes from not being fixed. Just a suggestion.

• I read that you can add fluorescein dye to the food of one cat at a time and then look at the urine mark with a black light. All cat urine will be bright yellow under a black light, but the one who ate the dye will produce VERY bright yellow urine. The web link below explains the process and may also give you some help with the inappropriate urination problem in general. Good luck.

• There is no way to tell by a cat's reaction to their pee.Try cleaning up the urine with a product like Urine-off. Find it at pet stores and on the internet.Then lock up 2 of the cats for a week. Like in one room or even in a bathroom. Leave 1 cat to roam for the week, no new stains, that's not the offending cat. Rotate loose cats until you find the culpret. Note: It may be more than one cat, so "test" all of them.

• I'm having the same type of problem but I have lots of cats. Mine have been taking turns staying in a cat condo (lg cat cage w/ perches).They stay there until I find another "accident". Then I know the caged one isn't "it". You can try something like that. A large dog cage would work. Honestly, though, with just 3 cats & only a problem when guests stay, I think they'd have to stay in the basement or my room till the guests leave.My vet also suggested a product called Feliway. I have been using it & my home is more peaceful but I still have one marking.

• Cats spray to mark their territory, just like dogs. In order for him to stop doing it, take a soft cloth and rub the cat head to toe, under his belly, his bottom, his tail etc. Then take that cloth and rub over all the places he will usually spray. This way he will already smell his scent and won't have to leave one. You'll have to repeat this like every two weeks.