What would be the best flea treatment for a dog in the country?

I am currently using "Frontline" but its not doing as well as it has in the past. Our dog is outside as well as inside. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

I am currently using "Frontline" but its not doing as well as it has in the past. Our dog is outside as well as inside. Any suggestions would be welcomed....
    Other Pet Discussions : What would be the best flea treatment for a dog in the country?...

• What would be the best flea treatment for a dog in the country?

What would be the best flea treatment for a dog in the country? Other Pet Discussions
      I am currently using "Frontline" but its not doing as well as it has in the past. Our dog is outside as well as inside. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

What would be the best flea treatment for a dog in the country? Other Pet Discussions
    • Personally, I prefer non-toxic pest control. I use bay leaf tea on my cat, which is out all day and comes in at night. I apply it every 1-3days and it seems to work well. Powder/crush 1 tablespoon of bay leaves put into a microwave safe cup 3/4 filled with water. Zap 1 minute on high. Finish filling with water and let stand 1 hour. Makes enough for one application on a smallish cat.I'd buy the bay leaf in bulk or this will get expensive.

• If front line isnt working and you are just worried about FLEAS (only FLEAS not fleas, ticks and other bugs) there is a chewable doggie treatment called Program Flea Control For Dogs. However, there is a great product called Revolution that protects against everything from those bugs to internal parisites. I have my aussie on it and we live out in the country, so far, (he has only been on it for three months) it is working out GREAT!

• Ok, now remember you may have to change the pesticides because fleas can become resistant to the same pesticide. So look at the active ingredients...and compare....get a different pesticide as an active ingredient. Fleas only stay on your dog long enough to feed, then they jump off. So you're going to have to treat the area where the dog is at too. I've had to spray my yard before.....many times.....because the fleas were so bad. I got a sprayer attachment from wal-mart......that hooks on a garden hose...and pour some insecticide in the bottle part....and sprayed my yard. This is the same sprayer attachment that people use to spray flower, or even roses with liquid rose food. You can get a good quality flea and tick killer from a vet. If you have trees on you propertey while you spray your yard........spray them at a level of about 3 feet down...this will also kill any ticks that hide in the tree bark. If you don't get a handle of the flea problem soon, you'll start tracking them into your house on your shoes, then you'll have a problem inside too. I've had this problem too. An adult female flea can lay up to 250,000 eggs in a single month. So, spend some money, get some quality flea control items, and knock them out as fast as you can. Follow your label directions accordingly. Best of luck to you........

• The cats get ADVANTAGE...works greatThe dog gets Sentinel which also prevents heartworm.Have to get them both from the vet, but don't need to take your pet in to see vet.