Whats a good breed for agility just for fun? Not quite as fast a Border Collie or Australian Shepherd?

I would enjoy teaching a dog to run an agility course but can't run super fast myself, as I have limitations. I can run, but not as fast as it would take to be a top competitor. Just looking to have some fun with a medium sized dog that's easy-going…

Whats a good breed for agility just for fun? Not quite as fast a Border Collie or Australian Shepherd?

I would enjoy teaching a dog to run an agility course but can't run super fast myself, as I have limitations. I can run, but not as fast as it would take to be a top competitor. Just looking to have some fun with a medium sized dog that's easy-going…...
    Off Topic : Whats a good breed for agility just for fun? Not quite as fast a Border Collie or Australian Shepherd?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Whats a good breed for agility just for fun? Not quite as fast a Border Collie or Australian Shepherd?

Whats a good breed for agility just for fun? Not quite as fast a Border Collie or Australian Shepherd? Off Topic
      I would enjoy teaching a dog to run an agility course but can't run super fast myself, as I have limitations. I can run, but not as fast as it would take to be a top competitor. Just looking to have some fun with a medium sized dog that's easy-going and not a huge amount of grooming. Thanks!

Whats a good breed for agility just for fun? Not quite as fast a Border Collie or Australian Shepherd? Off Topic
    • Try a Sheltie. They're very good at agility and are obedient.They're everything you're looking for. German Shepherds might also be good, but they're a little big. They are one of the easiest to train of breeds though and require little grooming.Addition: The first answerer was said a Sheltie. However, don't picture Lassie. Lassie is a Rough Collie. Rough Collies are at least twice as big as Shelties.

• Boston terrier!They are adorable, compact, very athletic, friendly towards people, babies and other animals!They are all american dogs, they really are wonderful! The best! I don't think I there is anyone out there who has owned a boston and didn't want another!Check them out, you will love them!!If you do end up getting one email [email protected] are SUPER easy to train!! Want to please you, really they are good at anything and everything!!You don't have to groom them at all!! Except clipping their nails and a bath when they get dirty, but that is every dog!!

• I think that a Golden Retriever would work for you. They are great dogs and they are easy to teach tricks. I hope your planning on taking good care of the dog and are prepared for everything. Don't just get a dog because you want to join a competition and after its over give the dog away! That's not fair to the dog.

• you can train most breeds to do it. My corgi/ golden retriever mix does it and 3 of my foster dogs now do it in their adoptive homes. 1- pug/ shepherd mix2- chinese crestid/ japenese chin mix3- pointer/ terrier mixAll do very very well :)

• Any dog can do agility, mixbreed or purebred. The only requirement is that it is healthy enough to do the sport.As for keeping with the dog. You don't need to run as fast as the dog any dog. You teach distance. You teach your dog how to do the contacts, weaves etc independent of you. So you tell him to do it and he does it without you babysitting him. I was at a NADAC trial this past weekend and 80% of the dogs were mixbreeds.I've had 2 knee surgeries and can't run either, as of right now, I have at least a 10 foot send on my dog. He also knows directions (left & right), back and switch.

• Terrier breeds are good agility dogs as well as lurchers retrievers and spaniels. You could also try a shorthaired cross breed. It does not have to be pure bred to be able to do agility. Every thought of going to you rescue centre to see what crossbreeds are available?

• All sorts of dogs can be trained for agility. The giant breeds are restricted to certain course and they must be at certain age. Cocker Spaniel, Corgi, English Setter, German Shepherd, Golden Retriever, Husky, Jack Russell, Lab, Springer Spaniel

• A husky is a good dog for having fun and also can be easy going when in the house, but they do need weekly grooming if not daily. Huskies are very friendly-not much of a guard dog. A golden retriever is a larger dog, but does not require as much grooming as a husky. The one that I had was very well behaved and a wonderful dog for walking or running at my pace. I would think Golden's could do a fun agility course. They also like to please their owner. Mine thought she was a lap dog and was mellow until we were exercising-she was a great dog. An English Springer Spaniel might also be good. They do have a lot of energy at times, but can relax after they are exercised. They are very loyal dogs as well and don't take much grooming-just a little bit.

• I am an Aussie breeder, so maybe i am partially biased. But the truth of the matter is this... The dog needs to be athletic and agile to be a good contender for as much competition as you want to do. Any dog can do agility, it depends on what you want to accomplish. You not being able to run fast is not an issue as proper training is going to put that dog out there ahead of you so that you do not have to run fast. After all we all have our limitations and cannot possibly run as fast as a dog, we only slow them down, so teach the dog to go ahead of you and know the commands and body language so that you can make a very competitive run without running as much yourself. a good instructor will help you to acheive that. I can recommend one in our area. Any dog will work but herding dogs are much smarter and faster, and of course.... Aussies are the best all around dog in my book! Moderate haired Aussies are not much trouble grooming at all.

• Any dog can be an agility dog as long as the training is fun and the dog thinks it a game to play with mom or dad. As far as their speed is concerned it doesn't really matter on the breed either. I've seen some border collies that are so fast they are out of control and get off course faults, and I've seen some that are slower and accurate. I've even seen some handlers that have a hard time walking themselves but can tell the dog where to go and which obstacle to take by different body language or commands while they stand in the middle of the course. So the speed isn't really what you need to be concerned about, it would be more of teaching them the obstacles, body language, commands, and distance. I would recommend getting a dog that you like and then getting a training group or individual that is experienced with all breeds and venues and go from there.

• Any dog at the shelter, given the chance, will be a GREAT agility dog if you put the time and effort in to training him/her!Border Collies and Aussies can do great at agility but they are difficult to control for most people. I certainly do NOT consider them the best agility dogs out there.

• How about a papillon, I have two that I do agility with, one jumps at 8 inch's and one at 12 inch's. they can run fast enough for agility but they are small and I can keep up with them, they also make great pets but I am kind of partial to the breed, good luck and have fun!!!

• 1. As others have said, almost any dog can enjoy agility. Now, be on the US World team and compete? That's a different story. But just about any dog could be good. Dachshunds, bulldogs and really big dogs (Great Danes, Wolfhounds, St. Bernards, Leonbergers) have physical disadvantages but I've seen people compete with those as well and have fun. Very independent dogs (Basenji's, Bull Terriers) are real challenges (because they're so independent).Before the dog is an agility dog, it's your pet. No matter how much you trial, how much you train, that dog will spend more time as a pet than as a performance dog. So first, get a dog you want as a pet. That means if you live in apartment, don't get a dog that barks a lot. If you cherish your flower garden, probably avoid a JRT or most terriers.2. Just because you're not fast isn't an obstacle. It's called "distance" handling (where you work the dog away from you). And at the highest levels, all dogs have to be good at distance. In fact, Gamblers and many other events will have a distance challenge as part of the course.3. Avoid a Sheltie. Great dogs. But if a BC or Aussie is too fast for you than so is a Sheltie.4. Okay, you want a short-haired dog that isn't blazing fast, not too small or not too big. My other advice would be that you'd like to find a biddable breed (herding dogs are the best example of this). And if you're really worried about the speed issue than get a small dog. As for easy going, that's more individual temperament than breed--I can find hyper BC's and mellow BC's (I've owned both). Here's my list of suggestions:--Manchester Terrier: athletic, quick, short hair, the right size. Some are yappy, also tends to pick one family member and make it the favorite or alpha.--Pomeranian: superior agility dogs but smallish. Maybe a bit longer haired than you'd like and also a bit yappy. They don't shed much but you will need to brush them regularly. But the 3 Pom agility competitors I know swear by their dogs and they do very well in competition.--Rat Terrier: a terrier with an "offswitch" short-haired, very athletic, a range of sizes, outstanding pet, very quick to learn--this is my current agility dog.--Toy Fox Terrier: think of a smaller, less sturdy version of the Rat Terrier. Great pets and very good at agility, definitely a small dog but if you're worried about your speed you'll be able to run with it. Definitely not a medium dog but a great pet quality dog that will also do well at agility and isn't going to run away from you (due to their size).--Vizla: may be a bit too big for what you're looking for (45-60 pounds) but a good all-around athletic dog that isn't hyper, does fine at agility, isn't a speed demon and makes a good companion. Do NOT get this breed unless you're going to train it--with training it's a sweet dog, without it's especially destructive and misbehaved.--Border terrier: a bit stubborn at times but almost no grooming requirements, very happy-go-lucky and hardy, almost no healthy problems. A tendency to dig but otherwise a good pet for indoors and outdoors.All of these breeds are ones that I've seen have a lot of success with agility that seem to fit your requirements to some or all degree.My last suggestion is for you to look at a rescue. Some of what you talk about (easy-going) is a temperament issue. That's easier to judge with an adult than a puppy (for a puppy, use the volhard temperament test). Ultimately, most breeds produce dogs capable of being good or even great at agility, but it will come down to physical limitations and temperament (plus your training and handling). You can't judge the physical issues with a puppy and can't do agility classes until at least a year old. So find a breed you like, contact the breed specific rescue group and make a visit or two. Or go to the shelter and then have a performance savvy vet rate the dog (ie: spot any structural problems, blown ACL, whatever that will prevent agility).