How can you tell the difference between male and female figure eight puffer fish?

they look exactly alike and i would liek to breed them but i dont know how to tell the difference. any help would be greatly appreciated. Thankx

How can you tell the difference between male and female figure eight puffer fish?

they look exactly alike and i would liek to breed them but i dont know how to tell the difference. any help would be greatly appreciated. Thankx...
    Other Pet Discussions : How can you tell the difference between male and female figure eight puffer fish?...

• How can you tell the difference between male and female figure eight puffer fish?

How can you tell the difference between male and female figure eight puffer fish? Other Pet Discussions
      they look exactly alike and i would liek to breed them but i dont know how to tell the difference. any help would be greatly appreciated. Thankx

How can you tell the difference between male and female figure eight puffer fish? Other Pet Discussions
    • This species is not easily sexed. The females when mature are slightly larger, but this only holds true for fish raised together. Statistically, if you have 4 or 5 fish you have good odds of having a pair.

• Most fish are Hermaphrodites... Er.. The fish start out their lives as females and the dominant fish in the group changes sex and becomes a male. This transformation does not always occur in the aquarium and if you truly want to breed these fish you are best off finding a mated pair in a fish store. A mated pair could be expensive because not all fish will form a mated pair which means one usually ends up killing the other...I am not positive this is the case with Figure eight puffers but it is the case with most Brackish/Marine fish.