What is the best dog to get for small kids?

I am planning to get a dog for my family. We have 2 small boys ages 1 and 4. I want something that is friendly and protective.

I am planning to get a dog for my family. We have 2 small boys ages 1 and 4. I want something that is friendly and protective....
    Other Pet Discussions : What is the best dog to get for small kids?...

• What is the best dog to get for small kids?

What is the best dog to get for small kids? Other Pet Discussions
      I am planning to get a dog for my family. We have 2 small boys ages 1 and 4. I want something that is friendly and protective.

What is the best dog to get for small kids? Other Pet Discussions
    • A shitzu is very friendly and usually great with kids.A german shepherd will be (over) protective of you and your family which can become a problem on outings.A labrador will be friendly, but more of a barker than a biter as far as protection goes.Jack Russell's are full of energy.Also you could try the website 'Terrific Pets' and post the question in their forum, similar to this but more specific.

• A Golden Retriever is one of your best bet'sThey are very friendly, and clean.You can also go for a English Springer Spaniel.Prefect for all family, (and no tail to knock over stuff)Cockers are good, but hard to house trainRemember, a dog will only be as good as the environment it is raised in.

• A black labrador retriever is a good pick. My daughter has 2 of them and one grew up with my grandson. He can do anything with these dogs and they do not snip at him or show aggression to him. They are both purbreds. However the dog has to be treated like a member of the family as well.

• I vote a Rottweiler. When raised with children they are very protective. They are big babies with family, and great watchdogs. I have 2 of them, and they let my baby niece climb all over them, put her little fingers in their noses...whatever...and they are so gentle with her!

• My choise would defenitly be the Great danes....Every one should wonder on this choise.no need.the one who knows about these dane would love them as they love childrens a lot.where evere we study an article about these danes,i asure u tht u'll find these lines saying "danes a lovable for childrens and they are protective.These danes are the huge breeds but very lovable livingthig for humans.http:\\allaboutdanes.comi've 2 danes with me and for me no other breed can b as affectionate as them.

• chihuaua..it's really small and they can get the hang of it. but usually chihuaua is for "stupid girls". i advice you not to get your kids dogs at their age. my mom bought us dogs when my younger brother was 7 years old. it's kinda dangerous to have a dog when your kids are still young. good luck. hope my message helps you! ü

• Truthfully...a mutt is your best bet. They are less likely to be inbred, so less likely to go nuts on you. Plus, there are so many thousands of them in shelters--even puppies if you like. I grew up with a mutt--part husky and part collie, and he was wonderful.

• rottweilers are very good even though some people say it is a fierce dog- which it isnt. my neice and nephew came over and my rottie took care and made sure they were always near. rotties are very protective and many people say they are bad but it only depends on how you train it my rottie is very good arond toddlers and small children and even when it was a pup having mad half hours and chewing everything, as people say a dog only does what you tell it to do. the best thing to do is find puppys and then see there father and mother or if it is a rescue dog then test there temprament rottie are very good dogs for temper everyone in my area has oneand they all say they are brilliant dogs!!! that is my advise it might help you bye!!!

• If you want the perfect dog for your family, then, get a Collie....Border Collies are good family dogs too but The Reg. Collie (Like "Lassie" on tv) are the best of all Collie breeds...They absolutely LOVE kids & always want to be w/ the family rather off doing it's own doggy things.lol!!!!!..They also make good watch dogs for the house at night...They are very vocal & social dogs & can be trained easily!!!..One thing about this breed is they have tons of energy & need a decent sized fenced in yard...Hope that tidbit of info helped!