What is the best breed of horse to buy for a child?

My friend wants to know what the best kind of pony is for a kid. Her 8 year-old tomboy sister loves horses (go figure). It's for a birthday present, and I want to help her out. Any ideas? Thanks!Who said she would take care of the pony on her own? Lol.…

My friend wants to know what the best kind of pony is for a kid. Her 8 year-old tomboy sister loves horses (go figure). It's for a birthday present, and I want to help her out. Any ideas? Thanks!Who said she would take care of the pony on her own? Lol.…...
    Other Pet Discussions : What is the best breed of horse to buy for a child?...

• What is the best breed of horse to buy for a child?

What is the best breed of horse to buy for a child? Other Pet Discussions
      My friend wants to know what the best kind of pony is for a kid. Her 8 year-old tomboy sister loves horses (go figure). It's for a birthday present, and I want to help her out. Any ideas? Thanks!Who said she would take care of the pony on her own? Lol. The WHOLE family will care for it. (She just doesn't know that yet!)

What is the best breed of horse to buy for a child? Other Pet Discussions
    • probably a quarter horse or quarter pony. they r ussually nice, patient, and calm. a quarter pony is just a bit smaller. (easier 4 an 8 year old kid 2 control)

• The breed doesn't matter as much as the individual horse. Pets shouldn't be presents. All to often the person receiving the "gift" neglects them because they are not prepared. Make sure the child knows what she is doing before getting her a horse. They are a big responsibility and need daily care. An 8-year-old cannot be expected to care for a horse themselves, the parents will have to do most of the work. Do your homework before getting a horse and don't make it a birthday present.

• Quarter horses i'd say. VERY calm and great with kids, very helpful and gentle and smart and beautiful and usually a trained is $1000 WHICH IS VERYY LITTLE!!

• First of all does the child have any experience with horses?If not you need to get her a dead broke horse that has been around children.Then make sure the child has lessons on care and feeding as well as riding.Ponies are neat little critters but tend to be mischievious.Unless the adult wants to spend a lot of time with the pony it wouldn't be a good bet.Quarter horses are great stay away from appaloosas.Make sure you have a person who knows what they are doing to go with you when you make the purchase.Stay away from horse traders they are just in it to make a buck and will tell you anything in order to make the sale.

• People who do pony rides are always willing to sell some of their stock and they are all calm and quiet. Just make sure you bring a vet to check out he pony before you buy it.

• Only kind of pony I can think of is the Schetland(sp?) pony. Just keep in mind that she's still very young and it'll turn out to be a family pet, per say, so a larder breed might be your best bet for larger adults and kids.

• A kids horse (not a pony) can be any breed. You need a gelding (fixed male), that is at least 10 years old, that has been there and done that.Call the local farrier and see if any of his clients have a horse that is for sale...or collecting dust in the backyard.Contact local riding schools in your area and see if they have someone selling a kids horse.Check equine.com for bombproof kids horses in your area.Horses are usually lifetime pets...so it would be better to give the child a certificate good for the horse of her choice, then include her in the shopping experience.She should test ride several before making up her mind. Someone else should give her 6 months of riding lessons, so she will enjoy the experience.