What do we do about our dog who is an escape artist?

Suspect: Black Lab, 2 yrs old, not neutered. He has free roam of the back yard (which is fenced) but constantly finds ways to get out and run around in the neighborhood or miles down the road. He used to dig holes under the fence until my husband put a…

Suspect: Black Lab, 2 yrs old, not neutered. He has free roam of the back yard (which is fenced) but constantly finds ways to get out and run around in the neighborhood or miles down the road. He used to dig holes under the fence until my husband put a…...
    Other Pet Discussions : What do we do about our dog who is an escape artist?...

• What do we do about our dog who is an escape artist?

What do we do about our dog who is an escape artist? Other Pet Discussions
      Suspect: Black Lab, 2 yrs old, not neutered. He has free roam of the back yard (which is fenced) but constantly finds ways to get out and run around in the neighborhood or miles down the road. He used to dig holes under the fence until my husband put a cement border all around the bottom, then he taught himself to climb the fence which amazes me for a big dog. We have tried tying him up with a 15 foot cable (although I feel bad for doing that and normally never would do that except for THIS dog), or chain and he still manages to get out. We have bailed him out of the dog pound several times this year. 5yr old son wants to keep him because the dog is his best buddy. Any suggestions? BTW we named him Jesse James so that may have had some effect on his rebeliousness, ha ha.

What do we do about our dog who is an escape artist? Other Pet Discussions
    • get him fixed. un-neutered dogs tend to roam a whole lot more because they are constantly looking for a mate. if neutering is not an option( because hes a show dog or for breeding purposes) get him chemically castrated. ask your vet what you're options are.

• I would suggest invisible fencing. Being only 2 years old he's still highly trainable, and this has worked fairly well for people I know that have another sneaky Labrador.

• Give him loads to do in the yard. HE is probably bored and looking for adventure. Play with him, take him for a long walk every morning and he will be too tired to escape. Believe me after two they realy calm down a lot.

• I had a terrier just like that back in the 70s, never did manage to cure his wanderlust. We called him "the Canine Einstein" because no matter what we did, he would solve the problem. sorry, good luck.

• Getting him fixed might help - but then again, it might not. It's certainly something to try before giving him up.I actually wouldn't suggest an invisible fence for this particular dog because lots of strong-willed, wandering dogs will go straight through it - even when set at the highest level - and then not want to come back again because it hurts to cross the border, no matter which way he's going. (I don't have a problem with most dogs using the invisible fence, just dogs that are strongwilled enough to bust through it - and this one *sounds* like he would bust.) If all else fails, you could ask a professional trainer to help train him to the fence, and see if it worked anyways; but I would personally be afraid of it backfiring.My best idea would be to get a 6' x 10' kennel, concrete or other tough foundation underneath so he can't dig out, and a top on it that's just as strong as the fencing. I do a lot of work with a couple that have anywhere from 10 to 16 highly driven, energetic Border Collies at a time, and this is how they deal with their escape artists. Very, very few dogs can get out of a kennel like that.Good luck!

• You might try a scare wire around the top of the fence. It is a small electric wire that tops the fence and will deliver a mild electric shock if he tries to climb out. I own two labs and they are horrible escape artists. You might also try a pinch (not a choke!!!!) collar for a while, supervised of course. Never use a choke collar, I did once and my beautiful baby hung herself.It is a matter of boredom, so I might suggest a doggy friend or doggy day care. Also, try spending time with him and actively training him to not climb, which is difficult if he only does it when you are not home.Scare wires are pretty safe, and it only takes a few times to deter him. And they cause no severe injury if you or your son encounter it. I personally fell on one and while it was not pleasant it caused no damage. Your local farm and home supply should be able to advise you.

• I've had the same problem with a large dog. Climbing a 5 ft fence was easy for her. She came up with several other tricks that just amazed me. The only thing that has worked....and she only got out once, was an electric wire about six inches above the fence. Like I said she did get out once and it left her a little dazed for a few hours. She's never tried since. Good luck