How do you get a blood hound to shut up and why do they have such a fascination with wheels?

Help! He howls at nothing. I've already tarped the lower half of my chain link fence (4 feet) so he can't see outside of the yard, but he goes nuts.

How do you get a blood hound to shut up and why do they have such a fascination with wheels?

Help! He howls at nothing. I've already tarped the lower half of my chain link fence (4 feet) so he can't see outside of the yard, but he goes nuts....
    Other Pet Discussions : How do you get a blood hound to shut up and why do they have such a fascination with wheels?...

• How do you get a blood hound to shut up and why do they have such a fascination with wheels?

How do you get a blood hound to shut up and why do they have such a fascination with wheels? Other Pet Discussions
      Help! He howls at nothing. I've already tarped the lower half of my chain link fence (4 feet) so he can't see outside of the yard, but he goes nuts.

How do you get a blood hound to shut up and why do they have such a fascination with wheels? Other Pet Discussions
    • Hound dogs howl... that is what they do. Try to accept Fido for what he is, I would hate to see him at a shelter or put to sleep because of his breed. He can't help it.

• Teach him, "QUIET". This is done with an empty pop can (washed out) and 32 pennies. When the dog is barking, go behind him and yell in a very COMMANDING voice, "QUIET" and shake the can as hard and loud as you can. Then make the can disappear. This does require patience and consistency, as with teaching a dog ANYTHING. The goal is for him to understand "QUIET" without the can.It would also be a GREAT idea for you and him to learn OBEDIENCE training. This gives you a better handle on his behavior, great exercise, and bonding.For a qualified trainer in your area:http://www.apdt.com

• I adopted a chronic barker. She barked all day long, at nothing and everything.I get a sonic (hi pitched sound) no-bark collar at Walmart, for just $32 dollars. (you can also get them on line and on ebay) When she barked once it diod nothing, the second bark it sounded a short waring, as the bark progressed, so did the sound.It took her 2 days to calm down, and by 3 weeks she was cured. She now ONLY barks when she should.I have loaned this collar to friends, and all had good results.(don't leave it on when it rains)This did not harm her in any way, as it actually seemd to help her relax, and go 'off duty'.