How can you get your parrot to grow back their feathers?

My African Grey started plucking out her feathers when I had to get two jobs. I recognized the problem and decided to spend more time with her. She has stopped plucking but it seems like it is taking forever for the feathers to grow back. She stopped…

My African Grey started plucking out her feathers when I had to get two jobs. I recognized the problem and decided to spend more time with her. She has stopped plucking but it seems like it is taking forever for the feathers to grow back. She stopped…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How can you get your parrot to grow back their feathers?...

• How can you get your parrot to grow back their feathers?

How can you get your parrot to grow back their feathers? Other Pet Discussions
      My African Grey started plucking out her feathers when I had to get two jobs. I recognized the problem and decided to spend more time with her. She has stopped plucking but it seems like it is taking forever for the feathers to grow back. She stopped around last fall and she is still bare on her chest. She is happy now and sings and talks and her old self again.

How can you get your parrot to grow back their feathers? Other Pet Discussions
    • Go to a reputable pet store and ask the clerk for Feather Anew. It comes in a little can about the size of a Testor's model paint can. The smell isn't the greatest, but it stimulates and encourages feather growth as well as preventing future plucking.

• Other than making sure she has a varied diet (including lots of fresh fruits and vegetables) there really isn't much that you can do to help the feathers grow back. You already realized that she needed more attention. Birds can be very fickle that way. My best friend has a goffin's cockatoo that was plucking her chest feathers out during the winter, so he quit clipping her feathers as much and she's much happier being able to fly around the apartment when he's home. To help keep her entertained when you aren't home, be sure to change the toys in her cage so she doesn't get bored with them. I know this might sound silly to some people, but also consider leaving a TV on (Gracie, my friend's bird) likes cartoons... anything with lots of color and sound to help her not feel so alone when you aren't home. Lastly, a full spectrum light near the cage can also help with depression, which is the major cause of plucking feathers.

• release her back into the wild,it should be a criminal offence to keep a bird like a parrot in a cage,her feathers dropped out on the way to going insane with boredom -do you know how they transport birds like that to sell to people like you?...stuffed up a cardboard tube for days on end with little or no food and water!

• It can take up to a year for the feathers to come back IF they are going to come back. Sometimes they pluck so much or pull the feathers so hard that they damage themselves and the feathers will never come back. African Greys are particularly sensitive and tend to really do a number on themselves. My Timneh African Grey has a small plucked patch on her wing that she did before I bought her. It will never grow back but I consider it a useful way to identify her should she ever escape. Take photos of your her so that if she ever does get away you can easily prove she is yours. Also, if she is not quick to bond with strangers, you will want to find a willing in-home bird sitter and get them accustomed to her (and vise versa) so that if you ever have to leave and can't take her with you, she will be calm and hopefully not start plucking again.