I bought a fish tank and my fish keep dying/ what do i do?

I bought a new fish tank, 2 days ago. The pet store personel told me i should buy some vitamin drops, and some drops to put in the water, because of the chlorine. The Water gets foggy after a day, and then the fish dies. 2 fishes died already.Anyone…

I bought a new fish tank, 2 days ago. The pet store personel told me i should buy some vitamin drops, and some drops to put in the water, because of the chlorine. The Water gets foggy after a day, and then the fish dies. 2 fishes died already.Anyone…...
    Other Pet Discussions : I bought a fish tank and my fish keep dying/ what do i do?...

• I bought a fish tank and my fish keep dying/ what do i do?

I bought a fish tank and my fish keep dying/ what do i do? Other Pet Discussions
      I bought a new fish tank, 2 days ago. The pet store personel told me i should buy some vitamin drops, and some drops to put in the water, because of the chlorine. The Water gets foggy after a day, and then the fish dies. 2 fishes died already.Anyone have any suggestions, on what i can do so my other fish dont die?

I bought a fish tank and my fish keep dying/ what do i do? Other Pet Discussions
    • Make sure that you have cleaned the tank and anything that was in the tank very throughly before you put new water in it. Put clean water in, then check the water that it is condusive to the type of fish that you have, take a sample into the fish store for them to check it out before adding the fish.

• I read in a book that you're supposed to wait up to two weeks to set up a new tank. The foggyness is just one of the steps showing that the tank is building up all it needs to have the fish survive. I think you should wait a while before you put more fish in the tank.

• look at lighting and check nitrogen and ph levels then check to see if your numbers are safe if not its easy enough to fix, use less light around the tank check the water temperature and if all is well wait about 5-7 days before you put in fish to see if the water is the problem or the fish themselves then buy fish if all is well and if it still goes wrong buy fish from another location oh yeah check your filter... make sure it works and that it is installed properly

• Be sure that you follow the instructions on the chlorine remover and vitamins very carefully - and that you are not overfeeding. This can cause cloudy water in addition to too much sun.Does your tank have a purifier or filtration system? How many gallons - fresh or salt? What type of fish? All these things can contribute to the condition on the water in your tank.I would talk again with your local pet shop and see what suggestions they have for solving the problem.

• IF you are properly filtering and the water is cloudy you may be overfeeding them. Which would make the water cloudy. Also do not put them in chlorinated water let it sit for 24 hours first then add them to it. Temp. is also a big factor.

• Keeping Your Aquarium Fish HealthyFish health starts with the selection of the fish themselves. Choose a pet store not only for their inventory and the size of their livestock selection, but also for the quality of their staff and management. Next to service, the store and the aquariums need to be well maintained. Some signs to look out for and to be avoided are cloudy tanks, decaying plants, dirty tanks, cloudy eyes, torn or clamped fins, sores on the skin, signs of illness or dead fish, and any other signs of neglected care. Newly arrived fish should be handled with caution since the travel yields significant stress on the fish.Healthy fish are active and bright in color.If you are setting up new aquarium and initially stocking the tank, it is very important to follow some basic guidelines regarding what is suitable and compatible. If in doubt, a water sample can be taken to the pet store. Their staff can aid in the selection of fish as well as the determination of whether your tank is ready to support live.Generally new fish should be placed into a quarantine tank upon arrival at home. This will significantly lower (possibly eliminate) the introduction of any possible disease into the main tank carried by the new fish. Considering the investment of some fish as well, will quickly justify the purchase of a small tank and filter for quarantine purposes.After taking the pre-cautions above, good aquarium maintenance practices should be in implemented to assure the aquatic environment remains healthy and life sustainable.

• Clean the tank really good, get some DE-cloinater tap water is no good for fish. You can also try to find some ph balancer and try letting the tank run for a few days without any fish. Then flot your fish in the bag that they come in for a few hours befor you put them in the tank. Also you might have better luck with fish that are a little bigger small ones tend to die pretty easly.

• First make sure you know whether you have goldfish( cold water fish) or tropical fish which are warm water, in which case you have to make sure the temperature is correct when you put them in, a temperature Gage can be bought at the pet store.Make sure you never wash your fish bowl with soap and you cannot put a fish directly into tap/bottled water, you have to buy the drops to put in the water to take out the chlorine before you put the fish in.You can also buy a water tester from your local pet store, or take a sample of your water in and they will test it for free for you. Make sure you ask the pet shop assistance how to care for the fish when you buy it.

• It usually takes a day or two for the water to clear up. This happens everytime I clean the fish tank out and put clean water. It could be you're overfeeding your fish, if they keep dying. You don't mention what type of fish you have.

• When setting up your tank you need to make sure you have a filter, gravel (or approved sand), some aquarium plants, and possibly an airstone.Turn on the filter and let the tank circulate water for two weeks before adding fish. Adding fish to a brand new tank will kill them. Also, you need to clean the gravel before adding it to the tank. The dust will lodge into the fish's gills and kill them.Wait until the water is clear before adding your "scout fish" and let that one fish (usually a hardy one like a goldfish or a corycat) swim around for about a week before adding the fish you buy.After you are sure that fish is doing well, and the other fish are doing well, make sure you change the filter once every month, change the water ever other week and feed your fish at least once everyother day (more is nice, but not so much that they won't eat it, since this can cause a bacterial build up.)If you are using tapwater to fill your fishtank, the chlorine is probably the main reason your fish are dying. To neutralize the chlorine, buy some AquaSafe (regualr or for goldfish) and add it to the water. FloraPride helps keep your plants alive (they contribute to cleaning the water and providing oxygen for the fish.) Aquarium Salt can be bought at the store and this helps condition the water for your fish, Melafix is the number one thing to use when your fish get ill, and Prime should be used for water changes and whenever you start a new tank.Also, check out http://tetra-fish.com/aquarium/default.aspx and have them send you weekly e-mails as reminders for taking care of your fish. Other than that, there's not much you can do for them. If you bought saltwater fish, I recommend returning them immediatly, because they are the hardest fish to take care of and the water has to be PERFECT in order for them to survive. Making this water perfect can take up to two months depending on the size of your tank.Just make sure your fish always look healthy, and try to get the care sheets from http://www.petco.com/CareSheets/CareSheets.aspx?Nav=154 and read the articels at http://www.petco.com/Content/ArticleTopics.aspx?PC=articletopic&Nav=153 whenever you think something may be wrong.Good luck with future fish!