How do they transport the horses for equestrian to China for the Olympics?

By plane or boat? I know that they must transport them also when they sell them internationally or for other prestigious international horse shows. It must be VERY expensive! I'm guessing that most of the equestrian riders come from wealthy families. …

By plane or boat? I know that they must transport them also when they sell them internationally or for other prestigious international horse shows. It must be VERY expensive! I'm guessing that most of the equestrian riders come from wealthy families. …...
    Other Pet Discussions : How do they transport the horses for equestrian to China for the Olympics?...

• How do they transport the horses for equestrian to China for the Olympics?

How do they transport the horses for equestrian to China for the Olympics? Other Pet Discussions
      By plane or boat? I know that they must transport them also when they sell them internationally or for other prestigious international horse shows. It must be VERY expensive! I'm guessing that most of the equestrian riders come from wealthy families. Horses aren't cheap, are they horse owners??? Anyways, I was just wondering about the transportation. I'm assuming they fly them in special cargo planes like they use for transporting zoo animals and/or special livestock.

How do they transport the horses for equestrian to China for the Olympics? Other Pet Discussions
    • By plane generally I think. They have HUGE planes that have stalls in them that the horses stay in. I'm not really sure who pays for them to be transported... they're probably sponsered.

• For the most part, I've only heard of horses (currently) being transported by plane. It IS very expensive - but the horse owners/sponsors/etc., normally cover those costs. It does not come out of the pay of the rider, unless the rider is the owner and has no sponsors. =) They fly them in a cargo plane - much like they do zoo animals, but they are not kept in fully enclosed boxes. They are kept in horse stalls - I believe 12x12, sometimes larger.

• i think it must be by a boat! since there are so many horses i was actually wondering this myself last night! yeah the olympics prolly pays for all the fees for things!

• by plane. Shipping would take waaay to long. normally horses would be in crates in the cargo hold of a plane, but for something like the Olympics they probably will have a special cargo plane just specially for that purpose.

• Planes with stalls is how horses are transported or boats with stalls. But the horses arent in China because yes theey could go there but they can't leave because of diseases so they are actually somewhere else.

• well depends what country, and i dont think the rider pays for everything, maybe most of everything but your country may pick up some of the tab (if they're nice and want to have the best on their teams) they also at that level have companys and such to sponser them so they can compete with the high priece of everything.comming from the us they'd fly them, now japan or the aussie they might ship them. depends what they think is best for the horse. but each horse will get there weeks (maybe even 2 months or more) before hand because you figure they'll have to spend at least 2-3 weeks in quartinee(depending on china's rules, and you know china isnt going to be that flexable even for the olympics) and then you have to check and make sure the horse is still fit and able to compete. so alot of them have their horses over there for a while and that cost is sure to add up as well.anyway it is a mildly intersting question. and not all of them come from wealthy families, most worked their way up from the bottom and give it their all to ride in the olympics.

• I would like to point out that not all equestrians come from deep pocket books. A couple of the Olympic team members actually learned to ride from books because they could not afford lessons when they were little. ( I actually know a couple that's how i know this)Yes they fly them, however they only fly them when they have to because of how horrible it is. The stall are small and a lot of horses come out with permanent damage because they were cramped. They use big semi trucks to haul them the second they are across the ocean. They are like big horse RVs with fans, and sprinklers that stop at nice barns at night on their way across the country.We avoid flying as much as possible And actually horses don't arrive till a couple days before the Olympics start because the teams were not even decided till a couple weeks ago. Amy Tryon just got her showing privileges back in time or the Olympics

• To my understanding most horses going on trans-oceanic travel go by plane, ie US to Europe or US to Asia. Japan might have shipped horses by boat, but I am not sure how common shipping by boat is?I know that air shipping is the way its normally done for truely long distances. Inside the US they would normally just have them trailered there.

• plane or boat. plane is more common now. it is very expensive. as a general rule it's at least $15,000 to transport a horse internationally. the olympic riders usually do not own the horses. but some have a share in a horse. like teddy O'Connor was owned by like 5 people

• The travel by airplane. After a seven-day quarantine in Europe, the US horses flew to the equestrian site in Hong Kong 'as part of a global migration that will ultimately include 297 horses from 47 nations travelling on 57 airplanes.'

• They transport them by jet. It is probably very expensive. The riders themselves are not necessarily wealthy. Remember that the riders are not necessarily riding their own horses. Professional riders ride horses for other people. The horse owners pay for show entries and the horse's expenses. The owners are wealthy. If you go to www.nbcolympics.com and follow the link to equestrian, there is a slide show all about how the horses are transported. It's pretty interesting.

• They are transported by planes and special trainers and caretakers take care of them. And most equestrian riders ARE rich because of the money they get for every single show they win.

• THEY DO HAVE SPECIAL CARGO PLANES AND IT IS EXPENSIVE. THEY HAVE TO BE QUARANTINED AND HAVE ALL VACCINATIONS AND HEALTH EXAMS FROM THE VETS BEFORE BOARDING AND AFTER ITS RATHER A PROCESS FOR THE PROFESSIONALSITS NOT A DECISION THATS MADE TODAY AND YOUR THERE TOMARROW, IT DOES TAKE A LENTHY TIME TO COMPLETE. THERE ARE CAREFUL AN SPECIAL PRECAUTIONS TAKEN DURING THE OLYMPICS TO ENSURE EVERY ONES SECURITY AND SAFTEY