How long does it usually take to house train a puppy?

I adopted a yellow lab mix puppy 2 1/2 weeks ago. I have been crate training her. She goes outside in the same area to go "potty". She knows whats expected from her already. She will have accidents if I let her run around the house too long. How long…

I adopted a yellow lab mix puppy 2 1/2 weeks ago. I have been crate training her. She goes outside in the same area to go "potty". She knows whats expected from her already. She will have accidents if I let her run around the house too long. How long…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How long does it usually take to house train a puppy?...

• How long does it usually take to house train a puppy?

How long does it usually take to house train a puppy? Other Pet Discussions
      I adopted a yellow lab mix puppy 2 1/2 weeks ago. I have been crate training her. She goes outside in the same area to go "potty". She knows whats expected from her already. She will have accidents if I let her run around the house too long. How long should I expect this process to take before I feel comfortable that she is house broken?

How long does it usually take to house train a puppy? Other Pet Discussions
    • Labs are very smart dogs. However, every dog is different. Also, just because a dog knows that it should go outside does not mean that should not take your puppy out very regularly. They go a lot more because they don't have the strength to hold it nor the size to hold it. Eventually that will change. I have known labs who were house broken and letting their owners know they have to go out by the time they are 4 months. I think what you might want to do, is bell train your dog. Meaning that when she has to go out, she learns to ring a bell so you know that she needs to go out. It is always a good idea to take a puppy out right after they have played, just woken up or eaten.

• "Accidents" are actually easy to avoid. There is a rule of thumb for this. You need to go by your dog's age in months.1 month= 1 hour before they need to go out2 months= 2 hours3 months= 3 hours4 months = 4 hoursThis is around the clock. Meaning, at night, you need to set an alarm for yourself. I would actually recommend that you not wait the full hour but more along the lines of 45-50 mins for each hour. So at 2 months I would take them out at 1hr and 45 minutes, etc, "to be safe". You say she already has some idea of where to actually "go", so now you just need to get the timing right.

• Yes yes, Labs are easy to train. BUT all dogs, big or small, cannot be held completely responsible until at least 8 months old. They may still have accidents the first year of their life. A puppy can only hold it's bladder as many hours as months it is old. So don't expect them to be able to hold their bladder for 7 or 8 hours until they are 7 or 8 months old. They should be pretty reliable about 4 months old with minimal mistakes.

• It might take some time and a lot of consistent training until she's 100% housebroken. Even if you think she already "knows what's expected," she's still a puppy and she's going to have accidents. Sometimes different breeds vary in how long it takes to housebreak. I don't know what it is for labs, but I know boxers tend to take longer than others, usually about 6 months until you have no accidents at all anymore. Consistency in positive training methods will help.

• I don't count on 100% reliable until about 1 year. you can check with your vet.. but certainly it should be fairly reliable. as you said YOU let her run around the house too long.... they still need monitoring constantly.. check my blog for housebreaking it might be in archives alreadyhttp://golden-joy.blogspot.comhttp://pampered-puppy.zlio.net