What is the best way to leash train a young puppy?

We just adopted a 8 week old black lab puppy. Every time we hook a leash on him he thinks it's for tug of war and instead of going to the bathroom he just wants to play. How can we break him of this so walks can be more productive?

We just adopted a 8 week old black lab puppy. Every time we hook a leash on him he thinks it's for tug of war and instead of going to the bathroom he just wants to play. How can we break him of this so walks can be more productive?...
    Other Pet Discussions : What is the best way to leash train a young puppy?...

• What is the best way to leash train a young puppy?

What is the best way to leash train a young puppy? Other Pet Discussions
      We just adopted a 8 week old black lab puppy. Every time we hook a leash on him he thinks it's for tug of war and instead of going to the bathroom he just wants to play. How can we break him of this so walks can be more productive?

What is the best way to leash train a young puppy? Other Pet Discussions
    • We got our puppies at about 14 weeks old. They were confused by the leashes at first, but over the course of a couple days they got used to it.Just don't let them chew on it and keep using it with them. They'll get used to it sooner or later.

• This is perfectly normal. We just got a Yellow lab, he's only 11 weeks old. He did this too! Here is what I did:Attach the leash onto his collar, and let him walk around the house *supervised* for about 5 minutes for two or three days! This will help him get used to the leash being attached to him! After that proceed to take him outside! ---- My Dog Wouldn't Leave The House! He Would Just Sit There While I Tugged And Called His Name, So the First Few Times I Had To Carry Him Out The door, eventually he got the idea of it!Try telling your do NO in a firm voice, once he lets go, take it and say No, again! Make sure to be persistent with your Puppy. Good Luck, Have fun With your new Adventure =).

• I also have a black lab that is 5 years old and they make such good pets! But just like you when our dog was a puppy we had to go through the exact same thing during walks! What we did though is we got our dog a harness to use to train her they work perfectly don't hurt them at all and are super coftorable! I think you might have to buy one at a proffesional pet store though and make sure that you talk to someone to find the perfect size for your puppy! The most important thing though is to stay calm take your time and don't give up!Hope i helped!