How do you get a dog to stop chewing things around the house?

I have moved many things out of her reach. I reaiize she is about 9 mo old, but any ideas? Would a muzzle work if we are gone rather than putting her in her crate?

I have moved many things out of her reach. I reaiize she is about 9 mo old, but any ideas? Would a muzzle work if we are gone rather than putting her in her crate?...
    Other Pet Discussions : How do you get a dog to stop chewing things around the house?...

• How do you get a dog to stop chewing things around the house?

How do you get a dog to stop chewing things around the house? Other Pet Discussions
      I have moved many things out of her reach. I reaiize she is about 9 mo old, but any ideas? Would a muzzle work if we are gone rather than putting her in her crate?

How do you get a dog to stop chewing things around the house? Other Pet Discussions
    • yes a muzzle would work because I have used one on my dog and try to put your dog outside in the back yard for awhile maybe this will help them or try buying them teething toys to chew on because if they are chewing things most likely they are teething right now.

• Try bitter apple spray. You can get it at pet stores. Also- when you catch her chewing something, take it away right away and tell her no. Then give her a rawhide or teether toy right away and pet her and say "good dog". Eventually she'll get it. It worked great for my dogs!Also - definitely keep her in the crate when you're gone. It makes them feel more secure. Even though it seems like they don't like it, when you're gone, it makes them feel protected. It's their "own space".

• Bitter Apple or Bitter Lime sprayed on items. It really tastes bad to dogs.I wouldn't use a muzzle on a pup. A crate is like a den to her. Use a crate while you are not home.

• A muzzle should definitely not be used. This will cause your dog to overheat and possibly die. Muzzles are only to be used as a temporary measure. Your dog needs more excercise. Take her for more walks. Buy her kong toys and stuff things in them and give them to her only when you leave. Try to rotate toys to keep things interesting for her. If you properly crate train your dog she can stay in her crate for up to 4(6 if you are very good about it) hours.