What is so fun about having a spider as a pet?

I'm not hating on people who have spiders as pets, i'm just curious as to why they have one. What's so fun about them?

I'm not hating on people who have spiders as pets, i'm just curious as to why they have one. What's so fun about them?...
    Off Topic : What is so fun about having a spider as a pet?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What is so fun about having a spider as a pet?

What is so fun about having a spider as a pet? Off Topic
      I'm not hating on people who have spiders as pets, i'm just curious as to why they have one. What's so fun about them?

What is so fun about having a spider as a pet? Off Topic
    • Good question. I mean, all they do is sit there and crawl around abit. You cant pet it really or play with it. And its not really cute and cuddly like a hamster! I guess people just like to brag and show off about having one. Either that or they're just crazy for spiders!? O-o

• I currently have a quite venomous White Tailed Spider as a pet.Most people, I believe like the fact that Spiders are Exotic pets. Everyone has a cat or a dog or fish, it's a select few that have a venomous predator as a pet.I think it's the intrigue and prestige of dominating and owning vicious predators that are uncontrollable is more thrilling than say a cat, although predators they are domesticated.Also the feeding process is quite violent and raw, something more thrilling than feeding some standard fish.They have added benefits of incredibly low maintenance sometimes only requiring food once every 2 weeks instead of 3 times a day, they are caged, like the dark and make almost zero mess.

• I had a black widow as a pet for a while as well as a pair of Emperor scorpions. They make unique pets and you can get a nice reaction from people when they find out. While I never held the black widow, the scorpions were fun to hold and touch. Both were interesting to look at and made nice ornamental pets. They tend to be easy keepers and cheap to maintain.

• I'm guessing they're just fascinated by spiders -- how they move, the way they look, the way they spin webs, etc.I think spiders are disgusting hideous creatures. I hate them.

• It would not be any more fun than keeping a common pet like a dog, cat, or rabbit, but a great many people keep 'unusual' animals, just because they are different, fascinating, or unique.Some people keep reptiles,(snakes and lizards) some people keep amphibians,(frogs and toads)Some people keep aquatics including fish, crabs, and octopus.Some people keep arthropods, including millipedes, scorpions, cockroaches, flies, and spiders.I started keeping spiders as pets as a kid, I have also kept a host of other bugs like ants an mantis.I have had a few tarantulas in my days, even black widows. My last common pet was a parakeet that died several years ago of old age, and right now my only pet is just a plain common house spider. He gets a moth or fly now and then, and has plenty of water.He is perfectly healthy and very content right here in his little cage:http://www.flickr.com/photos/32083154@N02/8084183300/in/photostreamI only think of it as a pet, but as long as I have it in captivity, I am responsible to properly care for it.I could just as easily set it free otherwise.