What are some tips for taking care of an aging dog?

I have an 8 year old border collie/mutt. He is very healthy and active but I can tell he gets sore in his shoulder and hip after a game of frisbee and fetch. I don't play frisbee as much so he isn't jumping up. It seems to help. I would like to keep him…

I have an 8 year old border collie/mutt. He is very healthy and active but I can tell he gets sore in his shoulder and hip after a game of frisbee and fetch. I don't play frisbee as much so he isn't jumping up. It seems to help. I would like to keep him…...
    Other Pet Discussions : What are some tips for taking care of an aging dog?...

• What are some tips for taking care of an aging dog?

What are some tips for taking care of an aging dog? Other Pet Discussions
      I have an 8 year old border collie/mutt. He is very healthy and active but I can tell he gets sore in his shoulder and hip after a game of frisbee and fetch. I don't play frisbee as much so he isn't jumping up. It seems to help. I would like to keep him healthy and happy for a long time, any tips? They would be appreciated, Thanks.

What are some tips for taking care of an aging dog? Other Pet Discussions
    • We've had our share of old dogs. The best thing I can recommend is to feed your dog the highest quality food you can. There are several excellent brands that have special formulas for older dogs. Some have glucosamine and chondroitin to help aging joints.We recently and suddenly lost a chow/collie mix just shy of his 14th birthday and he was healthy and happy right up to the end. I credit premium food and regular vet care for his long life.NutroMax, Iams, Eukanuba, Science Diet are all excellent. Your vet or local pet store can also recommend an appropriate, premium grade food.I know I can sound like a broken record but: There are NO cheap animal foods. What you save on food, you will spend ten times over in heartache and vet bills.

• He may be getting a bit of arthritis, it's not uncommon in aging, active dogs. You should probably have him checked over by your vet just to make sure that nothing else is going on, but if your vet confirms an arthritis diagnosis there are lots of supplements that many people report lessening arthritis symptoms in their dogs. I've started my 7 year old greyhound on powdered supplememts that I order online at http://www.greyhoundgang.org/ They seem to be helping, plus the profits from the sale go to help a rescue group, so a win-win situation from my point of view.

• Try a food that is specifically designed for older pets. You can also contact your vet and get him some arthritis medicine. They do work. Don't over exercise the dog, but also don't let him become a couch potato. Just let the dog go at his own pace and don't force him to do anything. Be observant as to changes in your dog. Be gentle and caring.