How can I retrain my ferret to use the litter box?

I got her a new cage and now she will not use the litter box anymore. She wants to go all over the bottom. Any good suggestions?

I got her a new cage and now she will not use the litter box anymore. She wants to go all over the bottom. Any good suggestions?...
    Other Pet Discussions : How can I retrain my ferret to use the litter box?...

• How can I retrain my ferret to use the litter box?

How can I retrain my ferret to use the litter box? Other Pet Discussions
      I got her a new cage and now she will not use the litter box anymore. She wants to go all over the bottom. Any good suggestions?

How can I retrain my ferret to use the litter box? Other Pet Discussions
    • Have it get in the box, one treat... Make it use it... Another treat. Worked for me :) They want to do good as I learned, so if giving them a treat will make them think they are doing good, they will want to do it :)Hope it helps

• well honey.. i have 3 ferrets and all i can say is good LUCK!those crazy weezles are wild and do as tehy please and that means pooping where ever they feel like but you might want to try 3 litter boxes in the bottom of the cage it helps a bit...my weezles enjoy crapping in corners....

• Cover the entire bottom of your cage with bedding. I use old t-shirts(they're washable and ferrets love sleeping in piles of laundry anyway). Put a litter box in one corner, another one on another level if it's a multi level cage. Once she goes, take her poo and put it in the litter box and leave it there for the remainder of the day. That'll remind her what the box is for and she should go. Also, watch her closely, especially when she first wakes up. Most ferrets have to go within minutes of waking up. See her backing up into a corner(or not) with her tail up, grab her and put her in the box. Lots of praise and maybe a treat if she makes it, better luck next time if she doesn't. Do not punish. I just retrained one of my females from being paper trained to the potty this way and she does not have ANY more accidents at all. For outside the room, watch where she wants to go and either put a potty there, or some more bedding. Sometimes a bowl of food in that corner will work too. Ferrets won't go where they eat or sleep. Mine have one spot by the door, that they still poo on and I think it's a marking behavior, since that is where all the "foreign" smells enter the room. I still try physically putting them into the potty when I catch them and they usually go, but I have that corner lined with news paper to at least save my carpet. I get those classified thingies at stores, gas stations and Walmarts for free, whole piles of them. And last but not least outside the cage there is one reality that holds true: where there's ferrets there is poop. It's hard to find a ferret that is 100% ALL the time.Good luck and enjoy your fuzzy.