What is the best way to introduce a kitten into a house with two house dogs?

My daughter has fallen in love with a stray kitten and we are wanting to keep it. We have two old dogs, a schnauzer and a mutt, that we love dearly. What is the best way to introduce the kitten to the house without all heck breaking loose? Any…

My daughter has fallen in love with a stray kitten and we are wanting to keep it. We have two old dogs, a schnauzer and a mutt, that we love dearly. What is the best way to introduce the kitten to the house without all heck breaking loose? Any…...
    Other Pet Discussions : What is the best way to introduce a kitten into a house with two house dogs?...

• What is the best way to introduce a kitten into a house with two house dogs?

What is the best way to introduce a kitten into a house with two house dogs? Other Pet Discussions
      My daughter has fallen in love with a stray kitten and we are wanting to keep it. We have two old dogs, a schnauzer and a mutt, that we love dearly. What is the best way to introduce the kitten to the house without all heck breaking loose? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

What is the best way to introduce a kitten into a house with two house dogs? Other Pet Discussions
    • i just let them go..ive had alot of kittens with a border collie and a chichuaua...just let them loose..and make sure they have a nice place of their own.

• If the dogs haven't had much contact with cats I would suggest you let the dogs sniff the kitty a few days in advance like let the cat stay in for like an hour and let them kinda get used to each other. But to keep things nondrastic wait a few days before the actual move in. It sounds a lot like something you would do with people but that is my idea.

• Put the kitten into a cage. Set the cage inside with the dogs. let the dogs sniff around and see how it goes. The kitten will probably be hissing and the dogs{depending on what kind they are will} be very curious. Once the cat and dogs have adjusted to this phase , open the door and let the kitten chose when to come out.

• The fact that it's a kitten may make it easier than if it was an older cat. I would try introducing the kitten to the dogs one at a time. One person should be holding the kitten while the other person holds the dog. Let them sniff each other and see what happens. Before you actually introduce them, you might want to give them a chance to get used to the other's scent through objects. A lot of times, older animals will see baby animals, even of another species, as babies and will be kindly towards them. If your dogs are basically good natured, this may work out very well. Just don't leave them together unsupervised until you are sure that everyone is getting along.

• Place the kitten, along with its food, water and litter box, in a room with a door that can be closed... leave it in there for a few days... this will allow the dogs to smell the cat (thru the crack under the door) and vice versa, getting them use to each others smells.. If you bought the kitten some toys, after a day or two, bring one of the toys out , allowing your dogs to smell the toys, and if your dog has toys, do the same, allowing the kitten to smell the scent of the dogs.. After a few days of doign this, allow the dogs (one at a time) to have visual contact with the kitten.. Bring each dog in the room where you ahve been housing the kitten, but make sure you keep a close eye on the interaction between the two.. If theres no fireworks, then start letting the two species have more space (although, for the time being, i would suggest keeping the kitten in the room at night or when you cannot keep close observation on the interaction btween the two)

• Don't leave them alone together until you are sure the cat is safe. In the mean time do not appear to take the cats side by getting involved. As long as the cat can get to a high spot where it is safe just let them work it out. Once the dogs establish that the house is theirs they will most likely let the cat be. Just don't show the cat more attention than you show the dogs as they are like kids and will become jealous and take it out on the cat.

• When I got my first cute cuddly little ball of fur I had a chocolate lab/german shepard hyper freak. At first we just kept the dog in the kennel for a few hours. Then we slowly started to let her back out and introduced the pets! (Daisy and Hazel.) And don't worry if the cat hides or hisses, when we left for a trip, kenneled the dog, and left the cat at home, she wouldn't go near the dog and hiss at her like crazy!