What are some fun things to do with older dogs?

My bf and I have a seven year old Australian shepherd. She really dosnt show any interest in toys, but really loves treats! She also likes walks but mostly lays around when we come inside. Anyone have any experience with older dogs or any ideas about fun…

My bf and I have a seven year old Australian shepherd. She really dosnt show any interest in toys, but really loves treats! She also likes walks but mostly lays around when we come inside. Anyone have any experience with older dogs or any ideas about fun…...
    Off Topic : What are some fun things to do with older dogs?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What are some fun things to do with older dogs?

What are some fun things to do with older dogs? Off Topic
      My bf and I have a seven year old Australian shepherd. She really dosnt show any interest in toys, but really loves treats! She also likes walks but mostly lays around when we come inside. Anyone have any experience with older dogs or any ideas about fun things to do that dont involve toys?

What are some fun things to do with older dogs? Off Topic
    • We play hide and seek with our dogs. We hide behind furniture, they come look for us since they are herding dogs, when they find us we chase them around the house and then hide again. Andy has vision issues, so he doesn't do well with toys, so he loves games where you chase him around.

• My Aussie loved to herd things (they are herding dogs after all). We live in the country so he would try to herd the deer that wandered through our yard. He also tried to herd our barn cats. Whopping great failures on both counts but at least he never tried to herd skunks! He too showed no interest in toys. I think he needed something moving to get his interest. In the winter when we were more or less snowbound my kids would partially fill a few balloons and "herd" them around the room. Our Aussie couldn't resist and usually joined in. We learned that balloons needs to be filled only enough to be bouncy otherwise they break too soon and you spend more time blowing up balloons than playing.

• Play hide the treat. I do that w/ my 6yo german shepherd. I tell him to sit.stay - in another room. He sees the treat, so he knows what's going on. I then go in to the other room and "hide" it...say, in a shoe, or under a pillow. And i say, "find the treat!" it sometimes takes him a while, sometimes he gets it right away. They like that, b/c well A. they're getting a treat, and B. they are "working".Also, a kong is a great way to entertain. It's not a 'toy', per se....they like it bc the treats in there. Keeps em occupied for a while too if you shove the treat in there far enough.I love dogs!