What are some fun things I can do with my horse?

I have a really great hunter-jumper show horse and we've been training really hard lately. I'd like to give him a bit of a break and mix things up to have fun while we work. What are some games or exercises that would allow him to have some fun while…

I have a really great hunter-jumper show horse and we've been training really hard lately. I'd like to give him a bit of a break and mix things up to have fun while we work. What are some games or exercises that would allow him to have some fun while…...
    Off Topic : What are some fun things I can do with my horse?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What are some fun things I can do with my horse?

What are some fun things I can do with my horse? Off Topic
      I have a really great hunter-jumper show horse and we've been training really hard lately. I'd like to give him a bit of a break and mix things up to have fun while we work. What are some games or exercises that would allow him to have some fun while working?

What are some fun things I can do with my horse? Off Topic
    • You could try going on a trail ride. Or, if you like the arena better, you could just have one day or so a week, where you just go out and ride... You don't have to necessarily work on things all the time. You could also try and teach him how to bow and things like that. There's lots of books you can find, and probably some stuff on the internet, that will teach you how to teach your horse really cool tricks.Have fun.:D

• Well a horse's idea of "fun" is being in the pasture with their buddies. Food + other horses = a happy horse. So the best I can think of is trail riding with other horses.And if you have access to a field with natural obstacles you can take him out there and gallop over some natural obstacles. Maybe even in a group?

• How about you let your horse in the pasture if you have one, or maybe try some acrobatic work. Like "all around the world" and clicking your heels above his neck, and behind his behind. Or try to stand on the saddle. Maybe Try Western.

• Anything to keep the horse engaged. Can you imagine riding in circles alllll the time? How dull!! Set up obstacles in the arena, Instead of just riding circles to work on bending and flexion, set up half of your circle with ground poles, it keeps the horse interested and it also improves their strides and collection. Another thing to do is through the widest part of the arena ride from one rail to another, ride to one end at your prefered gait, stop before you get to the end, and ask him to turn on the hindquarters around to the other direction, this gets them off their forehand. Another thing is while walking ask the horse to step his forehand over half a circle, then have him moves his hindquarters over to complete the circle, this gets your horse lighter and gives you control over the feet, the most important part of a horse. And this is just a walking exercise so can easily be done while cooling out or warming up the horse. Another thing I worked up o wih my horse--bridleless! Its so amazing riding with no reins the horse going off your body. Obviously you cant just take the bridle off but its something fun to work to. Groundwork is also sooo much fun! Now I'm not big on Pat Parelli, his attitude and that mustache bother me, but some of the games he does on the ground really increase the horses trust and makes them THINK. Set up barrels, make them walk under pool noodles, over a tarp. Have fun with your horse!

• Try taking him swimming or to the beach, my pony loves a good run and he is good in the water. or you could take him on a trail with other horses.Hope this helps!