Can you give me some tips on overgrown bird beaks?

I was over at my aunts house, givving the cockatiel a trip for the nails and wings, givving it a ath in the sink ECT...So I got my glvoe(To hold the bird upsidown to clip its nails)and he bit me so hard, the very ede of his beak came off.He was bleeding,…

I was over at my aunts house, givving the cockatiel a trip for the nails and wings, givving it a ath in the sink ECT...So I got my glvoe(To hold the bird upsidown to clip its nails)and he bit me so hard, the very ede of his beak came off.He was bleeding,…...
    Other Pet Discussions : Can you give me some tips on overgrown bird beaks?...

• Can you give me some tips on overgrown bird beaks?

Can you give me some tips on overgrown bird beaks? Other Pet Discussions
      I was over at my aunts house, givving the cockatiel a trip for the nails and wings, givving it a ath in the sink ECT...So I got my glvoe(To hold the bird upsidown to clip its nails)and he bit me so hard, the very ede of his beak came off.He was bleeding, but we ahd quick bleeding stop ready.I did treat the bird, and he seems better now, but what should we do with him?Well.....Thanks guys, but at first he was upsidown(as far as I've read that is a pos where the premidot could easily kill them so they don't like to be ion there backs)and he bit down on the glove so hard, that the overgrown part(The underneath of his beak)just broke off and landed on the ground, with a dot of blood on the glove.So we did the treament, and we also gave him another bath to clean his beak off. So when we put him back in his cage, he bit me again, and the ovegrown outside of his beak just fell off, but no bleeding that time.I have been to the vet only once, but I have been treating my birds and everyobdyesles birds too, along with some of the wild birds.If you can guese my age, I'm not even a teenager yet. Also, don't ever trust the petstore people, and buy from private breeders!Sam is doing fine right now! The bottom of his beat is fine! I gave my aunt some of that Zupeime bird pellets and his feathers are getting brighter! And he was hardly singer, but now he sings even before his cover gose off his cage!Actullay, it's called a cuttlebone, form the cuttlefishs spine( A cuttlefish is a small, squid like thing that squits ink)

Can you give me some tips on overgrown bird beaks? Other Pet Discussions
    • aw! I hope he is okay, try handling him more a little each day to get him used to you holding him..my bird has big dinosaur feet it's pretty funny.

• Hmmm. How much of the beak broke off? It sounds like quite a bit if the bird was bleeding. And how did you treat the bird? I would take that bird to the vet to get him checked out. I'm no expert but if a substantial amount of the beak broke off from biting you, maybe there's something else going on with the bird. A routine checkup at the vet can't hurt.Also, I hope your hand is okay!

• Hrrrm... I'd use a bit of flour to stop the bleeding. If it happens again, Press the wound until it stops bleeding. For now your best bet would be to bring the bird to the vet just to make sure the beak is okay.Regarding overgrown beaks - most birds don't need their beaks trimmed, though if you want to do something, take a new emmery board (you know - those sandpaper covered things used for nails?) and gently sand down the tip. It would help if you wrapped up the tiel in a towel. Birds seem to calm down when they're wrapped up. It's a great way to bond with the bird and if done regulalrly, the bird even looks foreward to it as they know they can spend some special time with you :) .Good Luck!

• take him to the vet. make sure there is plenty of toys or hard foods the bird can chew on to wear beak down. NOT NOW. wait till beak heals. if beak breaks the rest of the way off the poor bird will not be able to eat. the vet may be able to take some of the tip off before anymore damage is done. Quick Stop for razor cuts works great for minor cuts on birds.

• The best way to trim a birds nails and wings is to wrap them in a towel and have their feet or wing sticking out the side. This way it protects the bird and you. And about beak trimming, you want to check out the birds beak once in a while and if the tip of it is turning a translucent color, its time to trim it. If you don't the beak can chip or break and it can get hooked on a toy or their cage. If this happens the bird can bleed to death and get other injuries. We just take our birds (an Umbrella Cockatoo and a Congo African Grey) our local bird store and they do it for free.

• i Had a cocktail bird for a long time the reason he bits you is because he isn't handled enough for him to get use to being touched all the time a bird needs contact every day and in time he will stop biting you , and as far as giving your bird a bath all you have to do is spray your bird with a spray water bottle not in the face he want like that and he will clean his own feathers , and the problem with your birds beak bleeding is because he needs what they call a hewing bone for birds they don't coast much and they bit on this to keep there beak cut down and sharped you can get this at any pet store i hope I've been of some help to you