How do I get my 3 year old lab to stop eating our electrical wires?

We rescued this dog from a family that was mistreating him and gave him a great home. He is a really good dog with alot of puppy still inside of him, and sometimes he wants to eat the playstation wires and phone wires. How can we get him to stop?

We rescued this dog from a family that was mistreating him and gave him a great home. He is a really good dog with alot of puppy still inside of him, and sometimes he wants to eat the playstation wires and phone wires. How can we get him to stop?...
    Other Pet Discussions : How do I get my 3 year old lab to stop eating our electrical wires?...

• How do I get my 3 year old lab to stop eating our electrical wires?

How do I get my 3 year old lab to stop eating our electrical wires? Other Pet Discussions
      We rescued this dog from a family that was mistreating him and gave him a great home. He is a really good dog with alot of puppy still inside of him, and sometimes he wants to eat the playstation wires and phone wires. How can we get him to stop?

How do I get my 3 year old lab to stop eating our electrical wires? Other Pet Discussions
    • they make stuff to go over wires, you need to spat his nose when he does this and make him feel like he done something wrong and then give it 5 minutes and go love on him cause you cant resist

• Turning on the television is one option, but that would be cruel. The best thing is to keep him out of the room where those things are, so he can't chew them. My pup runs around with a shoe in his mouth whenever he thinks he's being ignored. We just keep the shoes out of his reach now. Sometimes it's easier to retrain your own self than fix the dog.

• ummm.. this is really cruel, but let him comp on a low current line, and get that little shock for once in his life. He will stop.Just like having children, you can't always protect them, you have to let them learn for themselves once in a whileI WOULDN'T SUGGEST THE PLAYSTATION THOUGH, CAUSE THAT WILL MELT HIS MOUTH SHUT. k! just so you know.

• Just be firm and dont be afraid to get angry, you dont need get super crazy, but a smack on the nose with a loud shout is acceptable.Just get it though to him that what he is doing is wrong.Mine took a good year to settle down, he was two when we got him.You just gotta work at it.

• spray some bitter spray on them. You can purchase it at petstores. If he does it while you are away from home then you should crate train him. If he does it while you are home you need to refocus his attention on something he should/can chew on(toy, treat etc)

• You must put all wires out of his reach, otherwise you may end up with a dead dog. Paint wires with dish soap, them sprinkle with pepper. You must say "NO" in a very stern voice, when you see him head for any wires. Give him something better to chew on, like a toy filled with peanut butter. Long walks also help take care of some of the energy, but you must be Pack Leader. This is not a walk where he walks you where he wants to go. You must make him follow you. You decide where and when he can sniff. All dogs need a strong leader, otherwise they feel responsible for protecting you, the house, and themselves. This can make a dog neurotic, and then they can get aggressive, or develop OCD. Obsessive, compulsive disorder. This is characterized by repetitive motions, like licking, tail chasing, fear of storms, or pacing.

• you should try this stuff that most pet stores sell...I don't know what it's called but its really really bitter. You just spray it on the stuff you don't want him chewing on and one taste of the spray and he should stop. Its non-toxic and made out of plants. It really works unless your dog likes sour things...lolYou should really try it. Or even better, call your vet and asking them. They might beable to give you a better suggestion.

• stunned the dog with a loud noise every time it goes near the wire. don't let him know that you are the one that was making the noise or he will do it again once you are not around. and try to put chili pepper on the wire.