What is the best type of dog to have at home and are they easy to train?

I have two dogs but when they are gone I would like to get one that is easy to train and keep at home.

I have two dogs but when they are gone I would like to get one that is easy to train and keep at home....
    Other Pet Discussions : What is the best type of dog to have at home and are they easy to train?...

• What is the best type of dog to have at home and are they easy to train?

What is the best type of dog to have at home and are they easy to train? Other Pet Discussions
      I have two dogs but when they are gone I would like to get one that is easy to train and keep at home.

What is the best type of dog to have at home and are they easy to train? Other Pet Discussions
    • DON'T BREED OR BUY WHILE HOMELESS PETS DIE.you should go to the shelter and adopt a dog that is otherwise going to be put to sleep because he doesnt have a home. color and breed shouldnt matter as long as the temperment is good and he/she is is needing a loving home. breeder's wont stop breeding and shelters wont stop needing our help. 20 million puppies and kittens are put to sleep every year because they have no home. think about all those babies that have to die because the only thing they did worong was be born into an over populated world.PLEASE ADOPT A HOMELESS DOG.

• The best dog in my opinion is a Basset Hound. But as with all dogs, they have there drawbacks....they are very stubborn, so if they don't want to learn what you are trying to teach them they can be difficult to train....they also have a "hound dog" odor even after a recent bath.....as they get older they tend to have back problems...and they are prone to glaucoma. Having said all of that I hope doesn't scare you away from one. Mine is the sweetest and most loyal dog I have ever owned.

• definitely not a boxer, there the worst jst because of natural instinct. u probably want a smaller dog, they are a little easyier to train then a big lab or something. and if u get a smaller dog and it jumps up on pple . at least its not a 180 lb dog coming up. so yea start off wth smaller dog if u hav no previous experience wth dogs

• Everyone I know agrees that labs or golden retreivers, although big dogs, are gentle and smart. I had a cocker spaniel and poodle mix and she was the best dog I have ever had or seen or been around. She was medium sized, house broken in a few days and what a personality! Sometimes mutts are the best. My dad has a small mutt and she is wonderful. Full breeds, other than labs and goldens, seem to be the hardest to train. Many times they have been too imbred. Whatever dog you choose, I would try to be around it for a few days before taking it.

• My answer want really be all like these other people on here that really seem like they know what they are talking about and all but,,, I would think it depends if your at home a lot or not. Stuff like that. You wouldn't want a dog that needs a lot of attention and stuff, some need to be more active than others. So just a stab at it,, I would say it depends on your active lifestlye first.

• a miniature australian shepherd, omg they are the best, even if their not trained they're smart, we had about seven of them, they do bark for certain reasons like if they c somebody, they're cute 2

• Cattle/work/herding dogs are the easiest to train and tend to be great with kids as long as you treat them right. However, they have a lot of energy, so you need to have a back yard and still walk/run them every day. If you want a more mellow dog, St Bernard are just about fantastic, but very expensive to feed. Labradors are also wonderful with kids, easy to train, and like to swim. I've noticed that female labs tend to take longer to mellow out than a neutered male lab. This is no expert testimony to these dogs, just among the dogs I've known or had as part of my family throughout my life. I will say that pugs are bad news, as well as any other lap-dog if you plan on having kids, they will become jealous and possibly violent toward the new baby. Good luck with the dog finding.

• if you would like a dog that is easy to train you might consider an american eskimo and if you like little dogs they have minitures as well they are white and look a little like a wolf but they are the dogs that you see at the circus with the ball on the nose and the little party hats they train very well but you have to be consistent in the training other wise you could confuse the poor puppy so be careful

• There are many breed that could fit into your lifestyle.However they will all require training and time comitment. You will have to housebreak and teach a puppy many things.If you are not sure on how to train get into a class and have a few lessons.They are a great way to socialize your puppy and a great way to teach the pup to look to you for direction. It is also fun to spend time woth your new pet.Look at www.akc.org to get and idea about the breed you like. It will tell you about the breed and the pros and cons of each type. It will tell you how big and how much upkeep and how easy or hard to train they are.It is a great starting point for information.Even if you get a mixed breed look at the purebreeds to get an idea of what the mix will be like.Shelter dogs are great pets and many already have some training and are easier than a puppy.Good luck with what ever you choose.