How do I keep my dog from running out the front door and getting away?

He is a 8 month old Lab and each time the front door is open for even a split second he busts out and runs all around the neighborhood. What is the best way to train him to not do this? He has had some training, obviously not enough...

He is a 8 month old Lab and each time the front door is open for even a split second he busts out and runs all around the neighborhood. What is the best way to train him to not do this? He has had some training, obviously not enough......
    Other Pet Discussions : How do I keep my dog from running out the front door and getting away?...

• How do I keep my dog from running out the front door and getting away?

How do I keep my dog from running out the front door and getting away? Other Pet Discussions
      He is a 8 month old Lab and each time the front door is open for even a split second he busts out and runs all around the neighborhood. What is the best way to train him to not do this? He has had some training, obviously not enough...

How do I keep my dog from running out the front door and getting away? Other Pet Discussions
    • Tie a lead on his collar and the other end to something solid enough to hold him. (couch leg, or table, etc) Make it long enough to barely get out the door, so when he runs it jerks him back. The shock of it will make him more cautious. Be careful that it reaches just barely out the door, as you could hurt his neck if has a chance to get up more speed.

• Do you take him walking - daily - on a leash? Labs need to exercise and have strong hunter and protective instincts. Go out on a walk with him around the neighborhood and see, watch, hear, follow... you might learn lots from it. Labs are truly smart and if you tune in, he just might give you the answer. Best of luck!

• OK Had this same thing with my dogs. I'll tell you what I did.I put a leach on her and when she want for the door I step on the leash and stopped her and waved my hand in front of her face and said stay when she stayed I gave her a treat.when you are leaving you just push her back and say NO with a stern voice and she will learn fast if she is a lab. Good Luck!

• Train him to follow basic training skills (sit, stay, heel, and come when you call him to you). Once he has learned these basic commands he won't run out the door. Until then you may have to leash him while in the house if he runs out the door everytime it is open. You love your dog and don't want him to get hurt, so it is worth this extra effort. Also, when he does get loose and you yell for him, don't punish him if he comes when you call him, because you don't want to punish him if he comes to you when you yell for him. This will confuse him and eventually he won't come when you call him.

• LABS ARE VERY ACTIVE DOGS. I HAD A LAB GROWING UP AND WE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM... FIRST MAKE SURE YOUR DOG GETS PLENTY OF EXCERSIZE....A TIRED DOG WONT FEEL LIKE RUNNING OFF!!! LABS ARE ALSO HARD TO TRAIN BECAUSE THEY DONT MATURE FOR A WHILE. BUT THEY ARE GOOD DOGS. TAKE HIM FOR WALKS OR EVEN JOGS FREQUENTLY AT THE SAME TIME EVERYDAY...HE WILL EVENTUALLY EXPECT THEM...

• You need to teach the dog to sit and stay, when the door is opend and not to move till you tell him too. You can practice this same techniqe with his feeding time as well. your dog needs to learn patience. It also helps if you can put a leash or a rope on a choke chain, on him, so if he breaks out of his sit , stay position you can correct him. That only works when you can predict the door opening. I have an remote controled electric collar on one of my dogs that is also, or I should say that use to be a runner. any time He did something that I didn't like, I can tone him, if that doesn't work give a zap!! Go on innotek.com and look @ some collar choices. Good Luck

• Whenever you open the door, keep him in a closed room and let him out only when you close the door. I guess as he grows up and gets accustomed to your house he will stop doing this.

• In addition to some of the good answers you've already received, you can try this if you have railings on both sides of your stoop. Go to your local home center and buy a big THICK piece of clear plexiglass. Slide it between the railings so that it completely blocks your stoop. Open the door and viola! Your dog will run smack into it and train himself.