What can i do for my yellow labs severe dry skin?

He was on a steroid for awhile that almost killed him and now he scratches at himself until he bleeds and has lost most of his hair..Any suggestions on how to help him would be appreciated.

He was on a steroid for awhile that almost killed him and now he scratches at himself until he bleeds and has lost most of his hair..Any suggestions on how to help him would be appreciated....
    Other Pet Discussions : What can i do for my yellow labs severe dry skin?...

• What can i do for my yellow labs severe dry skin?

What can i do for my yellow labs severe dry skin? Other Pet Discussions
      He was on a steroid for awhile that almost killed him and now he scratches at himself until he bleeds and has lost most of his hair..Any suggestions on how to help him would be appreciated.

What can i do for my yellow labs severe dry skin? Other Pet Discussions
    • I have a black lab and asked a similar question on here....the advice I got was to give him lard. It has worked well, no more flakes, or scratching and his coat is beautiful. start out with small amount and go from there could need up to a cup a day at first.

• I had a terrier with the same awful problem. We took her to the vet and he gave us some really foul smelling tar-based shampoo. Cleared it right up. A vet check may not be a bad idea anyways if your dog is that bad. Could be mange or another type of infection that would require additional treatment.

• i'm no expert but my german shepherd has always had bad flaky skin and is (was!) always scratching to the point of drawing blood. now fed only on nutrochoice lamb and rice with 1000mg evening primrose oil caps. 2x daily, all seems fine for last two months,strongly recommend a vets advice on yours though, best wishesfor the two of you.

• get him checked by the vet and I'm sure they would have something for that. Trial n error just would not be a good idea for this since it is to the point of losing the hair n all. Or you can try aloe vera as long it's not in an area where they can lick it

• Add some flax seed OIL to his food once a day. I give my Golden about 1-2 tbs a day. Helps itchy dry skin and makes fur soft. Maybe try a probiotic too.

• Step One: bathe in shampoo to get rid of possible mites and parasites that live in or under skin...their eggs cause an alergic reaction. This may take two or three times. Step Two: increase oil in feed...the suggestion of lard is a good one, IF you can find lard! Otherwise, a couple of tablespoons of corn oil, etc. on his food per day will help greatly. Step Three: Do not bathe dog often until this is cleared up. In the short run, soothe the dog with Cortisone spray or cream to stop present itching...the more he scratches, the more he is going to itch. Step four: After itching is controlled, bathe dog at the most twice a month...USE BABY SHAMPOO! IT will not remove all the oil from the dog's skin. Good Luck.