What is the best home remedy for getting the skunk smell off my daughter's dog?

We let him out last night to do his business and when he was ready to come in,he reaked of skunk urine! Needless to say,we didn't let him in the house as of yet.My daughter wants her doggy in the house with her,but we need him clean first.Any well…

We let him out last night to do his business and when he was ready to come in,he reaked of skunk urine! Needless to say,we didn't let him in the house as of yet.My daughter wants her doggy in the house with her,but we need him clean first.Any well…...
    Other Pet Discussions : What is the best home remedy for getting the skunk smell off my daughter's dog?...

• What is the best home remedy for getting the skunk smell off my daughter's dog?

What is the best home remedy for getting the skunk smell off my daughter's dog? Other Pet Discussions
      We let him out last night to do his business and when he was ready to come in,he reaked of skunk urine! Needless to say,we didn't let him in the house as of yet.My daughter wants her doggy in the house with her,but we need him clean first.Any well thought advice is greatly appreciated.Many Thanks in advance.Be Blessed!I think i phrased the question wrong.I meant i did not want to make a trip to the vet for the smell.Can i purchase something @ the grocery store or Walmart since we don't have a pet store here?Thanks everyone for your advice,even to the guy who suggested i sell my baby's dog.I couldn't.She would be crushed!Anyway,Thanks again & Be Blessed!

What is the best home remedy for getting the skunk smell off my daughter's dog? Other Pet Discussions
    • As far as I know, there are commercial products you can use. But if you want to start trying in home, tomato juice probably can help, I don't know if it is just a myth.

• The best way that i know of from experience is to buy the cheapest tomato juice or sauce and wash the dog with it then after give him a regular bath and he or she should smell normal.

• have the same prob. with my dog. use douche. plain. i think hey im a guy i just know to use douche on him. they say tomato sauce/juice works tried it didnt work for me. good luck let me know if it works

• there is a spray/shampoo that your vet should carry called... "Skunk-Off", and it takes care of the skunk smell, because even if you bathe them, the next time they get wet... it brings out that skunk smell! So you need to go to the vet and pick that up, it works great!tomato juice/sauce doesn't typically work, depends on really how much your dog was sprayed... that is for small amounts! but if your dog is covered, go and get the "skunk off"! Hope all goes well and good luck... hope he smells better soon!try this remedy...http://www.mediarelations.k-state.edu/WEB/News/NewsReleases/listskunk6159.html(i saw this remedy on most of the websites)-or-http://www.recipegoldmine.com/pets/pets108.htmlif you want to look at more yourself, go to http://www.google.com/ and type in "home remedy for skunk smells" and it gives you a lot of websites on how to get the odor off of your dog!

• If you use tomatoe juice, all you will end up with is a red dog! Skunk off works ok, or you can use..1 bottle peroxide1/2 bottle water1/4 baking soda1 teaspoon dog shampooMix hydrogen peroxide with water. Add baking soda and dog shampoo. Mix and pour into a bottle. Pour entire bottle onto dog, being careful not to get it directly into his eyes/nose. Let everything stand for 5 to 10 minutes while working the solution into his fur. Rinse and repeat if needed. Since most dogs get sprayed in the face, use a cloth to wipe his face good. Make sure you get right down to the skin too. Chances are that you will still be able to smell a faint skunk odor when the dog gets wet. I've groomed dogs a year after they have been sprayed and I could still smell a faint skunk smell when they were wet. It just has to work its way out.

• this may sound odd but it works better than tomato juice. go to the store and buy a tube of Colgate mint toothpaste, and give your dog a bath in that. Lather it up on his fur and let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes then rinse it out. it neutralizes the chemicals. then give him a quick bath with reg pet shampoo the paste will make his hair a little stiff and this cures that.

• 1 quart 3% Hydrogen Peroxide 1/4 cup Baking Soda 1 teaspoon liquid soap (Dawn Dishwashing Detergent is often recommended, but any dish soap will work) Rubber or latex gloves Mix in an open container (bucket or bowl); it will be fizzy, a clue that you shouldn't try to mix it or store it in a bottle or other closed container.Thoroughly wet your dog with warm water and then the solution while it is still bubbline. Knead it well into his coat, to chemically alter every bit of the thiols on his hair. Be careful to keep the formula out if the dog's eyes, nose and mouth; you can use a sponge to carefully wipe it onto his face. Let the solution stand for 10 minutes before rinsing. Follow the bath with a thorough rinse. Be sure to protect the eyes when rinsing the head. Chances are you will not get all of the smell off of the face and will have to live with that as it wears off. You can try Tricotine Liquid Douche Concentrate or any over-the-counter douche.After bathing, check your dog's eyes. If they are red and watering, your dog may have taken a direct hit in the face. Skunk spray won't blind the dog, but it's very painful. Contact a vet. Good luck!