What are the chances of a cat living up to 20 years old?

When I look it up online, I seem to just find the average life expectancy for cats. I know that it is uncommon for a cat to live to 20, but what are the statistics? One out of how many cats lives to 20? Or what percentage of pet cats live to 20? Thanks!

When I look it up online, I seem to just find the average life expectancy for cats. I know that it is uncommon for a cat to live to 20, but what are the statistics? One out of how many cats lives to 20? Or what percentage of pet cats live to 20? Thanks!...
    Other Pet Discussions : What are the chances of a cat living up to 20 years old?...

• What are the chances of a cat living up to 20 years old?

What are the chances of a cat living up to 20 years old? Other Pet Discussions
      When I look it up online, I seem to just find the average life expectancy for cats. I know that it is uncommon for a cat to live to 20, but what are the statistics? One out of how many cats lives to 20? Or what percentage of pet cats live to 20? Thanks!

What are the chances of a cat living up to 20 years old? Other Pet Discussions
    • I don't think that you will find a true answer as many cats are found as adults. Others are raise outdoor. I have had two cats live to the age of 18 years, one to 19 years, and may daughters cat, is now on her twentieth year. All my my cats were indoor cats. My daughters cat used to go outside, but I understand that now, she stays indoors.

• If you raise the cat good and in a healthy environment and take it into regular checkups then the odds are pretty good that the cat will live up to 20 or pretty close to 20.

• I had a cat that lived for about 20 - 21 years but her was extremely skinny and when he was asleep in the front garden people had to stop and make sure he was breathing

• As cat food gets better and more people understand the importance of regular health checks it is more likely that cats will live to be older. 20 is pretty ancient though and I've only known two cats that have made it to that age.Of the 10 cats I've had all have been outdoor cats, and all (except the two current ones) have died of natural causes, not because of accidents. The oldest was 18, the youngest 9, most have gone around the 14 - 15 mark

• Average indoor age for cats is 15 to 18 years.The chances of a cat living to 20 are increased if the cat has:1. Quality, premium cat food.2. Good dental health and dental cleaning a few times during its life.3. At least annual vet health exams.4. Living indoors.5. Healthy relatives.

• You probably wont find any real statistics. Your cats life expectancy depends on how you take care of it. 1. You need to make sure that your cat is eating good quality food. Look at the ingredients on the bag, if the first ingredient is corn filler and it contains animal bi-product, that is NOT a good food for your cat. Foods like Special Kitty, Meow Mix, and most commonly cheap brands only serve to keep your cat from starving but do not provide the nutrition they need. Do some research. Spending a few dollars more on your cats food is well worth them having a healthy life. I feed my cat Natural Balance but I would also recommend Evo or Earthborn too. You will probably need to purchase food from an actual pet store like Jacks or Petco, Walmart doesnt really carry the good stuff.2. Keep up on vet visits. Pay attention to your cat, if its breathing seems off, if its sneezing, anything. Its better to be safe than sorry!!3. Indoor cats tend to live longer lives than cats who live outside.The food will help significantly, though and most people dont realize that what they put in their cats bowl is actually terrible for them, like feeding your children junk food all the time. Usually, the less colorful the food is, the better it is. I hope your kitty lives a long and healthy life, and it should so long as you take good care of it. :)

• My cay is about to turn 19! My friends cay lived to 23! Most cats live to 13- 16. Kidney or thyroid issues usually take over. Living to age 20 is like a human being 92. So it happens but still not as common as humans living to that age. I don't think there are any real statistics on cats ages. Ive worked at a vet hospital for 16 years. Out of thousands of cats, maybe 30-40 have lived to age 20. Not that I would keep track, but a good guess. A long time ago we had a client who had two cats, not siblings, that lived to 31 and 32. The oldest living on record was 36 or 38 I think. With the higher quality foods and better vet care I think cats have a better chance now.