Should I get a German Shepherd puppy who is a little over a month old?

I know puppies shouldnt be taken away from their mothers and siblings before they are 8 weeks old. However the people who have him say the mother isnt producing milk, and they seem really anxious to get them off their hands. My Dad is worried about how…

I know puppies shouldnt be taken away from their mothers and siblings before they are 8 weeks old. However the people who have him say the mother isnt producing milk, and they seem really anxious to get them off their hands. My Dad is worried about how…...
    Other Pet Discussions : Should I get a German Shepherd puppy who is a little over a month old?...

• Should I get a German Shepherd puppy who is a little over a month old?

Should I get a German Shepherd puppy who is a little over a month old? Other Pet Discussions
      I know puppies shouldnt be taken away from their mothers and siblings before they are 8 weeks old. However the people who have him say the mother isnt producing milk, and they seem really anxious to get them off their hands. My Dad is worried about how he will be treated if we ask for him to stay longer. He thinks if we bring the dog home we will be able to better care for him. I understand we'll need to feed him around 4 times a day, and keep him warm among other things, but we are completely willing to do whatever we need to do.Is it a good idea to get this puppy? If we do get him, what are some important things to keep in mind when caring for him?

Should I get a German Shepherd puppy who is a little over a month old? Other Pet Discussions
    • NO you should not there is many reasons why Puppies need to stay with the mother until a minimum of 8 weeks .The puppies in question should of started to be weaned so not producing milk is a poor excuse from the BYBs that are trying to get rid of those puppies .

• That's is called weaning. Not only should you never get a pup before 8 weeks old, you should never get a puppy from these idiots. Good breeders are NEVER in a hurry to "get puppies off their hands". Call the breeder back and say you decided not to purchase a puppy.And if they are getting rid of puppies too soon like that, report them to your local Humane Society, ASPCA, etc., and help shut them down. Don't support what they do by getting a puppy from them. If you want onevof their puppies, wait until the law busts them, and the dogs all go into rescues. Then purchase one from a rescue.Round the clock care is required for puppies who leave their mamas too soon. Not only that, the risk of death is quite high for those puppies.

• Its great that you are doing your research and willing to be responsible but this really isn't an ideal situation.There are many reasons why dogs should stay with their moms for a minimum of eight week. They are just starting to develop immunity to bugs and basic social skills at this stage: play, how to act around other dogs and humans.It really isn't a good idea even with the best care from you, you could end up with a dog with health problems and poor social skills.Do you have another dog that is fully vaccinated? That may help a bit with social skills if they were good with the puppy. You would really have to be so careful with disinfecting etc to make sure the puppy didn't pick up any bugs from the outside world. You should probably ring your vet for some advice.EDIT: I agree with the previous poster. These breeders really should be reported.

• If your dad is very concerned that this puppy won't be well cared for where he is, then this is the one exception to the rule that he should stay until at least 8 weeks old.Puppies this age need around the clock care. They need a warm bed, puppy replacement milk, and a lot of time and patience. I would call your vet and explain the situation and ask his advice and guidance. You can get puppy replacement milk from the vet but you can also get it at pet stores and it might be a lot cheaper there. You would get some puppy kibble and mix a little bit with the puppy milk replacement until it got mushy and then feed him some of that warmed up slightly every couple of hours. This is a huge responsibility, but if your parents are willing to take this on after speaking to the vet, I think in the long run, it would be the best thing for the puppy.But having said that, I have absolutely no respect for a "breeder" who does not take responsibility for the puppies she brings into this world. She is definitely not ethical if she is trying to palm off 4 week old puppies on families. That suggests that her breeding dogs were not health tested either. Just be aware that taking a puppy from a breeder who has not health tested her dogs is always a crap shoot. You can get very lucky and get a great, healthy dog, or you could be in for a long series of headaches, which is why you should speak to your vet first before moving forward, especially if he happens to be her vet as well.