What's the difference between leasing a horse and buying a horse?

I am going into college in a year for equine science, I would like to have a horse to ride for the next year but don't want to have to van a horse to what ever college I go to, so we thought of leasing. But didn't know what the exact differences were.

I am going into college in a year for equine science, I would like to have a horse to ride for the next year but don't want to have to van a horse to what ever college I go to, so we thought of leasing. But didn't know what the exact differences were....
    Other Pet Discussions : What's the difference between leasing a horse and buying a horse?...

• What's the difference between leasing a horse and buying a horse?

What's the difference between leasing a horse and buying a horse? Other Pet Discussions
      I am going into college in a year for equine science, I would like to have a horse to ride for the next year but don't want to have to van a horse to what ever college I go to, so we thought of leasing. But didn't know what the exact differences were.

What's the difference between leasing a horse and buying a horse? Other Pet Discussions
    • when the lease is over then the horse is no longer yours unless you get another lease, but if you buy it then it will always be yours and it cant be taken away if you don't make a "payment"

• Leasing a horse means you pay a monthly fee to ride it. However some leases are different. The fee may include farrier, feed and vet services. Sometimes you have to pay for those yourself with the additional fee. Riding Stables lease their horses to local people and the horse stays at that stable. Some people let you take a lease horse to stay at your place if you have the right facility. Buying a horse means you get the whole package. You pay for everything and must take care of everything the horse needs.

• Well, the simple answer is that when you buy a horse you are the owner and you assume all financial responsibility for it, including but not limited to: board, shoeing, vet bills, vaccinations, worming, and equipment. When you lease a horse, the amount of financial responsibility you incur depends on the type of lease.Some commercial lesson or boarding barns will lease out their school horses in either a full or partial lease. Some private owners will also do this. Usually, in this type of lease you would pay the price of board, or half that price. You may also be responsible for shoeing, but usually not vet bills unless you cause the injury or illness to the horse.If you lease a show quality horse, most times the owner will charge you a fee for the length of time, usually six months or a year at a time. The fee may be low, but can reach well past $20,000 for a year-long lease of a very capable, talented animal. You should also note that in most leases like this, you'll be responsible for whatever expenses the horse accumulates in your care, including vet and oftentimes insurance bills.As a side note, I started out at a university for equine science before I got a job in the "real world" as an assistant trainer. I made the big mistake of bringing my own horse with me. I had four different horses to ride for my own program, plus barn work and a full-time job. I had very little time for my own mount, and I usually ended up working him under the lights at either 5 in the morning or 9 at night. If I could do it all over again, I wouldn't have taken in such a huge burden on my time and finances. He's a great horse and I'm thrilled to work with him, but I put a little too much on my plate at the time. If I were you, I'd wait until after you've been at school for at least a semester before you think about leasing a horse. Just get an idea of what your course load will be like. And don't forget, most schools with equine programs give you plenty of time in the saddle even without your own horse.

• Leasing a horse is basically a temporary purchase of the rights to ride the horse. You do not own the horse, the horse's owner retains the right to set all rules and restrictions regarding the use of his or her horse, the lease can be terminated by either party (with or without notice depending on the terms of the lease) etc etc. So basically you are buying riding time, but instead of just buying it one hour at a time at a hack stable, you are buying it a few months or a year at a time on one specific horse. Owning a horse means the horse is yours and you can do whatever you want with it- but you are also responsible for all the bills, which makes owning more expensive than leasing in most cases.

• Leasing is basically renting the horse, you don't own the horse, but you pay the owner to use him, and in some cases they keep him at their house, or a stable, at other times he stays at your house.Buying is where the horse is yours, your completely responsible for him, and you can pay to board him at a stable, or he can stay with you, or you could even lease him to someone else.

• If you buy a horse its your permanently you have to take care of it forever unless you sell. If you lease you pay an amount given by the owner that you pay every year/month. BUT you have to pay for everything feed shoeing, compititions.So really you "renting" the horse as if you buy you can't give back.I like to lease a horse before I buy him/her, to make sure its what I really want and its not druged. But some owners don't want you to. I would also suggest (if your buying) a pre perchuss exam. If your leasing make sure it written (with signtures) of what your doing and if something happends what you will do.

• DO NOT LEASE - here is why:leasing is expensive, you will be responsible for vet, farrier, board and sometimes feed. Leases are not needed if you are paying for a college. Also you will NOT get to ride the horse when you want. You are assigned a day or a few days a week that you are allowed to ride. So you will be paying half, or more, of the horse's board and only getting the horse from 4-15 days out of the month! I do not encourage my students to lease my horses as I want my own horses ridden and trained only by me, but the occasional lease to a student of my approval is expensive and i encourage them to take more lessons with that money as it is more cost effective.Options: you have 2 options if you wish to ride. Lessons- cheaper, riding, and if you can not afford it that week you simply do not go. A lease is a binding contract, if you do not pay you will be sued. Volunteer- you can exchange some labor at the local stable for ride time. this costs you nothing but elbow grease, also you can make the schedule according to your schooling, this is best for studiesDo NOT buy in college no matter how long or short your stay. Boarding, feed, vet, farrier, objects, and insurance is very costly. I have seen many owners wind up paying $1200 a month for their horse, but a more common price is $500 - $800 a month if you board out at full board. Which if you are in college you need. Either way do something that does not tied you down or bind you to a contract. You don't want to be strained for money or sued for not paying it.

• Leasing in literal terms is just to hire something for a period of time and when that time expires, you take that thing back. So if you lease a horse, you make an agreement with the person when it will be returned but when you buy it, it becomes your wholly and entire. So I think you can lease the horse and the agreement will be that you return it after your stay there. I think that's the best thing I can say.

• Well leasing a horse means you're spending money with a little responsibility while buying a horse means a lot of sacrifices and responsibilities to do (except if you can afford to hire someone to take the job). hehehe

• Leasing a horse is like barrowing and buying is owning.If you leased or rented a horse you'd have to give it back at some point.Buying on the other hand you'd own it and it would be yours.God bless!

• When you lease a horse, you dont have all the responsibilities of owning him.A lease can be just a few days a week(3 days a weeks) or a full lease (6-7 days a week). A Lease can be nice because you dont have full responsibility of the horse and the cost of the lease is constant.When owning a horse some month's bills can be hundreds of dollars more than the previous month's due to an extra vet bill or something.But with leasing, since its not your horse, you need to ask permission from the owner if you want to take the horse somewhere or do something out of the ordinary with him.