Can I feed my cat different brands of cat food?

I've been told its bad to constantly be switching your cats brand of food becuase its supposed irritate their stomach and possibly make them sick. I buy a different brand everytime I need to buy a new bag of dry food for my cat and he's never gotten…

I've been told its bad to constantly be switching your cats brand of food becuase its supposed irritate their stomach and possibly make them sick. I buy a different brand everytime I need to buy a new bag of dry food for my cat and he's never gotten…...
    Other Pet Discussions : Can I feed my cat different brands of cat food?...

• Can I feed my cat different brands of cat food?

Can I feed my cat different brands of cat food? Other Pet Discussions
      I've been told its bad to constantly be switching your cats brand of food becuase its supposed irritate their stomach and possibly make them sick. I buy a different brand everytime I need to buy a new bag of dry food for my cat and he's never gotten sick. Anyone else heard this? Anyone know if it's actually a bad idea?

Can I feed my cat different brands of cat food? Other Pet Discussions
    • i have had 5 cats in my life currently denden is 5 but th eothers lived to 16-19 yrs old, i always switched flavors and brands. the y get bored. always be sure it is a name brand that has all nutrition and you will be fine. what usually causes the upset tummies is the dyes used. i try to buy undyed food like pet promis , eukanuba, mothers, iams etc.... the colors are put there for us to look nice and has no nutrition anyway

• It can upset their stomachs and cause diarrhea. It also can make your cat more finicky in the future and it may be difficult to find a food they will eat. You should be consistent with their food. Good luck.

• I think its bad. When we switched from wet to dry our cat had terrible diarahha(sp). Its better to pick a brand and stick with it. Why are you switching so much?

• I only feed my cat the same brand, since she was a kitten. I think it's best for them to have the same food because they're already used to it and it just might cause some digestive problems.

• well i switched my cat's food ALOT and she lived till the age of 14. so i can't think that its bad for them... maybe they like it... i mean imagine eating the same food everyday....

• It depends on what your cat likes.A good way is before switching there foods, is to put a little bit of the new food in there old food, so they get a little bit of both and keep adding more and more of the new food each day until it's been about 3 or 4 days. That way, your cat will get used to it instead of a sudden switch.Also, try using the same brand of food just different flavors, until she likes them all, then you can switch them every week or so. Hope this helps! =D

• The vet told me that it is best to stick with the same kind all of the time. It causes less tummy upset and makes going to the litterbox cleaner. He also said that the higher priced foods have less corn and their bodies use more of the food therefore less mess in the litterbox to clean up. Look on the ingredient label for corn to be fourth or fifth and you should have a winner. I believe my vet as he isn't trying to sell me anything extra and didn't "recommend" a favorite. The bottom line...the proof is in the litter box! LOL!

• It's more of a bad idea, if your cat has been on a certain brand, for a long time, and then suddenly it's switched to something else. But if your cat has always had a wide variety of cat food, their stomach can handle it. I know that my cats get whatever brand of food we wind up bringing home.

• I have never heard that. You might want to check out some cat-care websites. When it comes to cat food, it really is up to your cat. If you cat is happy with whatever you give it, then you are a lucky person. My cat seems to get bored with the food after awhile, so I have to switch it up. I have 3 different brands of dry food on hand. When she begins ignoring it, I switch to another brand, and she's good for a couple of weeks.

• I have always heard whether it be a cat or dog its not a good idea to be swapping one brand of food for another as long as the animal is doing well on the one your giving them. And just think about what you said.........your cat is not sick NOW, but how about down the road later..............? See what I mean. Your cat is fine now but he or she might not be in years to come. (Just sharing my thoughts)!!!

• I've heard that it's a good idea to stick to the same cat food, until the cat seems to get tired of it. Cat's need variety just like us. But it's probably not a great idea to constantly switch brands all the time. Depending on the cat, he or she could get sick, but if the cat doesn't seem to mind it, I wouldn't worry about it that much.

• There is no scientific proof that switching around food is bad for the health of your cat - unless the cat is consistently getting poor grade cat food and overall it's nutritionally unsound. So many cat foods are filled with 'junk ingredients' and many cat owner's cats get their digestive systems completely messed up when their food is changed. Don't forget you can cook for your cat now and then as a special treat. Poach up a chicken breast or scramble them an egg once in a while to show them your love!As to your own cat's constitution? maybe your cat has a cast iron stomach!

• it is bad and can actually contribute to allergies.. most other problems dont show up til later in lifemost good food companies recognize this and offer you a free bag after you have bought 10 bags of food....all the cat food sold in grocery store and Wal Marts is cheap crap and bad for cats irregardless of switching or not.. so many fillers -so little nutrion.. cats have to eat WAY more of these foods than if on a Premium level food.

• If your cat is healthy and your vet doesn't object, why change? Some cats are allergic to ingredients or flavors in commercially prepared foods. I feed my cats a variety of treats, also, for tartar control and hairball control...one female is a Greenie freak! (BTW, while there were some health problems connected with Greenies for dogs--I don't remember what--Greenies for cats have always been and still are SAFE.)

• I had to feed my cat purina O.N.E.`cause he couldn`t tolerate cheap food,would always get urinary infections from them.Find a quality food he/she likes and stick with it.