How do I get my pug to go out to releive herself all the time?

She is somewhat paper trained at 6 months. She will go out but if I don't let her out in time - like early enough in the morning, then she may go anywhere.She hates staying in the crate now that she is older. Is she too old to train in a another method?

She is somewhat paper trained at 6 months. She will go out but if I don't let her out in time - like early enough in the morning, then she may go anywhere.She hates staying in the crate now that she is older. Is she too old to train in a another method?...
    Other Pet Discussions : How do I get my pug to go out to releive herself all the time?...

• How do I get my pug to go out to releive herself all the time?

How do I get my pug to go out to releive herself all the time? Other Pet Discussions
      She is somewhat paper trained at 6 months. She will go out but if I don't let her out in time - like early enough in the morning, then she may go anywhere.She hates staying in the crate now that she is older. Is she too old to train in a another method?

How do I get my pug to go out to releive herself all the time? Other Pet Discussions
    • My advice is stick to crate training and stop the paper training. That is confusing. Most dogs will end up loving their crates as long as they are not abused by being overly confined. My dogs treat their crates like their bedrooms - that's where they go for alone time and that's where they keep their toys. Until she is fully trained she will need to be crated at night. When you wake up, (or she wakes you up) take her straight outside and PRAISE her for doing her business there. I also use a command when they go (mine is "go pee" - a friend of mine uses "hurry hurry") They will learn to associate the command with doing their business - big help if you are traveling and need her to focus and "go" at available times.Be consistent and don't hesitate when she indicates she needs to go - there is no laziness in puppy potty training!Good luck

• She is not too old to be trained, I am assuming she is 6 months or there about. Hopefully you have also been working on positive reinforcement obedience training along the way. Unfortunately the first mistake made was to paper train her and this behavior needs to be corrected. You have given your dog the ok to go in your home with paper training. Your dog will at first be confused by the fact that you will no longer accept relieving herself on the paper as acceptable.This behavior can be changed with patience and persistance. When you are home watch her closely to see when she goes to the paper. Once she does her thing pick her up and the paper with the prize on it and take them both out into the yard where you would like for her to go. Set down the paper and the dog near the paper then pet her and praise her. She will start to associate going to this spot outside with a positive experience. Do not scold the dog for going inside on the paper, remember you taught her this. Also go to the same place in the yard everytime this further reinforces that here is the place I am to go in the dogs mind. When you are not home the dog should be crated atleast until this behavior is consistently corrected. It will take some time so be patient and do not scold the dog. You also mentioned not getting her out early enough in the morning. Routine will help her considerably, as soon as you get up take the dog outside.As far as her not wanting to go in her crate, I believe that to be the best idea when you are not home. First of all make the crate her "home". By this I mean it should be a comfortable and safe place for her. Food, water, a blanket or pillow and a favorite toy and a chew treat placed in the crate with her will make her comfortable and more likely to want to stay in the crate. Another point for staying in the crate when your away is that dogs generally do not go to the bathroom in the same place that they sleep. They will associate the crate as that place. Every night I would recommend that the dog be placed in the crate for bedtime. Tell her it is bedtime and take her to the crate, place her inside and praise her for being inside. She will in time become accustomed to being in the crate and will not fuss about going in. In fact, if you reinforce the training by giving a one word command to enter the crate, such as "kennel" or "crate" she will go on her own in time. Our indoor dog does this everynight at bedtime, we say bedtime kennel, and in he goes. Sometimes he beats us to it and is waiting inside the crate for us to come into the bedroom and if we forget to shut the door he will yap to remind us. This is a secure, safe environment for him your dog should feel the same way with proper training. Never scold your dog when she is in the crate. Ok this has become lengthy so I will close it up with just another breif word of advise.Many pet owners dont realize they should be trained prior to owning a pet to train a pet. It will make living with a pet much easier on everyone including the pet. Training yourself is a simple matter of buying a good book on obedience training and reading it as well as researching the breed you are considering prior to buying. Look at the dogs behavior traits, personality traits, etc. to be sure they are a good match for you and your lifestyle. Begin obedience training and socialization of the dog early for greatest and fastest success, spend lots of time with the dog and use positive reinforcement. Good luck with training her and may you both have years of great companionship and joy.